A few questions about mixing - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I got a reply off a promoter!
    He said he liked my mix from 8 minutes in, which is basically what I was saying... I feel like an idiot for uploading it now though... He said he wants me to go to the next night to meet them and stuff. (this isn't great as I'm not very well at the moment as I have bad acne)

He said he'd like to try and organise a dnb night or get me in another room with some other dnb djs.

Sounds good, the future is bright

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I got a reply off a promoter!
    He said he liked my mix from 8 minutes in, which is basically what I was saying... I feel like an idiot for uploading it now though... He said he wants me to go to the next night to meet them and stuff. (this isn't great as I'm not very well at the moment as I have bad acne)

He said he'd like to try and organise a dnb night or get me in another room with some other dnb djs.

Sounds good, the future is bright
    Awesome man! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I only listened to the first 10 mins of your mix, because i simply dont have time just now, but your trying to mix DNB with EDM. Thats hard shit even for pro's. Im also guessing youve never manually beatmatched before, and didnt grid any of your your tracks yourself, Traktor is notoriously bad at gridding DNB so chances are it was miles out to start with, DNB is around 160/170 and EDM is generally 130, youve got to build up/down into each other,

EDIT: also, about you mentioning breakdowns, if you know your music then its all a case of numbers, EDM is written in 4/4. I worked all this out myself, so im going to put you in the right direction and you can work it out for yourself.

EDM - 4/4
    Make SMALL tempo changes for tempo buildups DURING the song, not jumping from a track thaats 160 to one thats 130
    Also, Keylock is your best friend if your making mass tempo changes.
    Since when was drum & bass not a form of electronic dance music? Also not all EDM is 4/4, even if the vast majority is. Listen to your music and you'll notice when it's not. While you're almost never find a track that isn't 4/4 if you're playing fairly middle of the road stuff, it's good to develop your musical ear and get a better understanding of music in general.

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    if you have great tunes and know when people want em and how to give em to you is WAYYYY more important IMO than being able to cue juggle or do any sort of effects (yes they add to how you are giving the crowd thsoe tracks in a memorable way but they arent the staple of the proformance.... the tracks are).
    Completely agree with this. The main skill is being able to judge when and how to drop in a tune that will fit with the mood/stage of the night.

This is why it's important for early DJ's to know how to build up a crowd and headline DJ's know how to take it to the next level etc.

I never got "DJ's" who enter scratch contest etc and claim to be top DJ's cos they can scratch well. It's all sounds samey after a while anyway (sorry to all you scratchers out there, just my opinion!). Now knowing how to get and keep a crowd in the palm of your hand and making their night memorable through your tune selection and drops, that's THE key skill in my mind.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by darichard View Post
    2 or 3 shots at a gig is pretty good man. One of the guys signatures on this site says "in order to be heard, you need to be seen in the scene you want to be heard in" so basically get out there, make connections, show your stuff and be positive. If you do a gig, you never know who's in the crowd.
    I can agree with this massively, and have seen the evidence!

A friend of mine did this. Went to work in Ibiza every summer to network, make contacts etc and DJ for free at venues. This was even at an early stage when he was still messing about on decks with us in another mate's house before heading out for a Saturday night etc. I remember all of us being stumped when trying to mix Queen's Flash Gordon or Bohemian Rhapsody into any other song!

Anyway, back to the point, he went to London to sleep on a mates floor on weekends to network and make contacts, get gigs etc. Again, all this when he was only still elarning to mix and beatmatch properly.

Now though, he tours the World and is a pretty well-known name in the DJ world so I 100% agree with this and know this effort pays off!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

The most important tip I have is to try play at parties, friends houses,anywhere really that's out of your comfort zone.even move to another room and use different speakers,like your sitting room stereo for example.The first time I played out I realised that the sound was so different in a club or warehouse.I was using vinyl and the sound difference made beatmatching so hard.It took all my concentration to just pull of a straight mix.I suppose the sync button would save you with traktor but my point is there's a lot of things that can shock you out of your comfort zone so be prepared and don't rush to get booked. I cringe to think what would have happened if I had gotten booked all the times I thought was ready! All said you will learn more from your first one hour gig than 20 hours practise.

The secret to being a good tradesman is not just doing your job well and trying to get it perfect first time,more important is being able to cover up mistakes and flaws. Same applies to djing!

Tech Mentor

Hmm, yeah I am a bit 'scared' even though I think I'm ready, probably because I haven't played anywhere before and I'll have to 'plan' my mix before I play at the club. Most of my songs are 320kbps, they'll sound fine on a club soundsystem right?

Oh, and I've got a Numark Mixtrack and a Kontrol X1, so I either need to buy a soundcard or an S4 (Which is what I want, but don't have the money at the moment) I didn't mention to the promoter that I'm a 'digital' dj, I don't think it'll be a problem though?
    Last edited by DJWilliams; 02-21-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    Hmm, yeah I am a bit 'scared' even though I think I'm ready, probably because I haven't played anywhere before and I'll have to 'plan' my mix before I play at the club. Most of my songs are 320kbps, they'll sound fine on a club soundsystem right?

Oh, and I've got a Numark Mixtrack and a Kontrol X1, so I either need to buy a soundcard or an S4 (Which is what I want, but don't have the money at the moment) I didn't mention to the promoter that I'm a 'digital' dj, I don't think it'll be a problem though?
    The first few times I played out I had everything planned out and laid out in my bag(this was before the days of laptops & CDJ's) just because I was so nervous. I did this a couple of times and as I got more comfortable I planned less and less. Just have an idea of what to kick off with and a couple of backups and away you go.

good luck!!

I would probably mention the digital thing just so they know what to expect from you in terms of gear to set up in the booth.

Tech Mentor

Any tips then for a 'first gig'? Should I play loads of popular 'bangers' or a mix of stuff?

Tech Mentor

You should be:
    1) Ready for it
    2) Confident
    3) Have fun
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast