A few questions about mixing - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    Would it be advisable to have a few tokes of mj beforehand to calm me or will I get even more nervous and start panicking? haha
    Yup.

just like with booze tho... not too much other wise youll forget what your doing and are more likely to mess up.... or put on a really shitty track by mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Quick review of your mix, didn't like the first three songs, they didn't fit in well at all, fourth song going forward is actually quite enjoyable to listen to.

Did you just crossfade every song or did u actually work on it, cause sounds like you just crossfaded everthing.

I listened to about 40 mins of it, after 4th song, it's enjoyable and I'm not into DnB that much.

Keep practicing, Good Luck

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LaOnda View Post
    Quick review of your mix, didn't like the first three songs, they didn't fit in well at all, fourth song going forward is actually quite enjoyable to listen to.

Did you just crossfade every song or did u actually work on it, cause sounds like you just crossfaded everthing.

I listened to about 40 mins of it, after 4th song, it's enjoyable and I'm not into DnB that much.

Keep practicing, Good Luck
    Haha, everyone says the beginning is crap, I agree.
    For some transitions I crossfaded at the breakdowns, for others I played loops or the songs at the same time. If you read my OP that was what my question is about. Why are you having a go at me saying that it sounds like I just crossfaded? What else am I supposed to do? In DnB you can't just whack two tracks on top of eachother for the whole mix, and that would be equally as boring.

In DnB you can't just whack two tracks on top of eachother for the whole mix, and that would be equally as boring.
    Clearly you've not seen many top quality dnb DJs, generally you want to be aiming to spend as much time as possible with two or even three tracks playing out as possible. I'd recommend starting with the king himself, Andy C.

Tech Mentor

Wouldn't always playing 2 tracks sound crap though and ruin the tunes? Sometimes it works but I do it like 2 times out of 10, I usually just layer a loop then drop at the same time...

Wouldn't always playing 2 tracks sound crap though and ruin the tunes? Sometimes it works but I do it like 2 times out of 10, I usually just layer a loop then drop at the same time...
    Which is where the actual skill of DJing comes into it.

Andy C is the god of straight up technical mixing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je35bjfpBjg
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 02-23-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Tech Mentor

So basically I need to transition much more and not let a track play on its own for ages? His mixes sound like one big mash-up, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Generally that's what people aim for with dnb. You're syncing right? It should be super easy for you to bring tracks in quickly so why not experiment and find some that work together?

If you're only playing one tune at a time you're not mixing now are you? :P

And hey it's a damn good thing. Honestly I've never heard anyone who can mix vinyl like he can. God on 3+ turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    If you're only playing one tune at a time you're not mixing now are you? :P
    Damn, that's where I've been going wrong

Saw Andy C a couple of years ago, the guy's unreal
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Damn, that's where I've been going wrong

Saw Andy C a couple of years ago, the guy's unreal
    I got to go backstage last time I saw him and I just stood there for an hour peering over his shoulder. Totally nuts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast