What's this guy thinking?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ignorance, its as simple as that

He's not wrong. DJ's DO get more credit than they deserve. Thing is DJ'ing makes a person accessible. Not many DJ's make it these days unless they have put out some good tunes. There's only so much touring you can do off the back of 1 or 2 tunes, so they play out to cash in on the fact that peolple LIKE those records and want to associate with that DJ by watching them play OTHER PEOPLES RECORDS AS WELL.

Of course, there are exceptions. Turntablists SHOULD get credit. They're bloody clever people that have put a lot of work into each routine. Controllerists will go into this category in the future - but not until the boundaries have been pushed as far as they can go, then reigned back in a bit to keep the funk/groove alive.

DJ worshio will be short lived. It's definitely already peaked.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Yeah you are right. I am a professional classical pianist and I think djing is not on par with what goes into being a instrumentalist. but that's with people just playing records. Controllerists and scratchers really get my respect though. I'm starting to get into djing.
    But djs aren't just playing the records they are like a mascot. A good dj's charisma, physicality, and stage presence, just like a "real musician", makes people move, love, dance, and have the time of their lives. I think it's half playing records half on stage presence.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kofman13 View Post
    Yeah you are right. I am a professional classical pianist and I think djing is not on par with what goes into being a instrumentalist. but that's with people just playing records. Controllerists and scratchers really get my respect though. I'm starting to get into djing.
    But djs aren't just playing the records they are like a mascot. A good dj's charisma, physicality, and stage presence, just like a "real musician", makes people move, love, dance, and have the time of their lives. I think it's half playing records half on stage presence.
    +1
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You guys are aware that you are commenting on a five year old blog entry by some writer that is neither a DJ nor a musician?

yeah

Oh. I didn't realise that. Maybe in those 5 years he's been to see Tiesto and has changed his mind?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

He does have a point.

It looks a bit different from my point of view though, seeing the culture from the "inside".
    In my eyes, there is very little wall between being an electronic musician and being a DJ.
    A lot of brilliant musicians who work primarily on electronic equipment, samples and synth, etc, started out DJ'ing in clubs and eventually started producing more and more. This led to a merger of genres, etc.

Then, on top of that, there is the deal of playing electronic music live.
    With Ableton Live, live sets and digital DJ'ing, the cultures of beatmatching and the cultures of playing electronic music live have very much collided. I can easily see why it's hard to distinguish between a play-pause guy with a pair of CDJ's and a guy with a monome and a million synths.

Of course, in the end, it's all about loving your craft and giving people a blast
    Last edited by safefire; 02-20-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob5000 View Post
    You guys are aware that you are commenting on a five year old blog entry by some writer that is neither a DJ nor a musician?
    beat me to it. the date should always check the date.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast