Torq 1.5 or Traktor Scratch Pro?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Torq 1.5 or Traktor Scratch Pro?

Hi guys happy new year!

I am buying my first dvs in a few weeks.

Would you still give Traktor Scracth Pro the thumbs up over Torque's new release?

Tech Wizard

Honestly, I'd say it depends. I haven't used Torq 1.5 (but I have used 1.07) nor Traktor Scratch Pro using DVS, but there is no right or wrong answer. I'll break it down like this:

Torq:
    + Inexpensive, especially if you can get it used
    + Has all the basic features (cues, loops, etc)
    + Is excellent if you are just using DVS
    + The waveform display is pure genius
    - Upgrade cost to 1.5 (but thats to pay for the new Z-plane algorithm)
    - Database isn't very good
    + Good beat detection allows BPM adjustment down to 0.1% (although in 1.07, you cannot manually enter the BPM)

Traktor
    + Tons of features
    + Database in Traktor Pro is damn good
    + Word on the street is that tracking in Scratch is really good
    - Expensive
    - Waveform display isn't very helpful.
    + Decent automatic beat detection, allows BPM down to 0.001%, manual BPM detection rocks

Both are good products, but if money was not an issue, I'd take Traktor. If you are interested, I'm planning on selling my Conectiv + Torq without the 1.5 upgrade (since I'm moving onto a VCI-300 and the NS7).

sgb

Tech Convert

I use Torq 1.5 and I'm very impressed! If you buy Torq now, the 1.5 upgrade is free. The fact that they integrated Midi Beat Clock into Torq makes it the most versatile DVS system to date! With MBC, you can sync any external device or another program like Live or Reason with Torq. So, if you're also looking for VJ support, just get a solid VDJ program and sync it right up to torq. Voila! There are many other great features of Torq, just go by their forum to check it out... torq-dj.com.

My friend uses Traktor with the VCI-100 and loves it. Both are great systems that will accomplish what you need.

@Unit:E Traktor Pro also sends and recieves a midi clock.

Tech Wizard

But torq has good rewire support now, according to reviews it should perfect in sync with ableton (can't test it due the missing demo version from torq damn!).

I hate the complicated, error prone and not 100% solid sync (due to the poor resolution from the midi clock) from traktor pro with ableton.

I wish TP had rewire support.

I don't get it why NI just want to limit traktor.. I just don't get it...

Tech Wizard

torq gives you also a sampler and vst integration. the midi beat clock of torq can be locked to a deck, so if youre playing a song and change the speed of it the midi beat clock does it accordingly. this is for the moment limited to torq afaik and is the major new feature of 1.5, however most people wont use it. if you just wanna play mp3s on vinyl you should get serato. if youre really wanna be creative get torq. for something in between get traktor scratch. however the learning curve is much higher for torq and the error rate goes along with this. so if you a tech guy trq is fun, if youre not serato is the best....

Tech Wizard

the midi beat clock of torq can be locked to a deck, so if youre playing a song and change the speed of it the midi beat clock does it accordingly. this is for the moment limited to torq afaik and is the major new feature of 1.5,
    no, TP can do the same. the advantage from torq is rewire, but not the midi clock.

Tech Wizard

Torq's VST support works, but you can only map 1 MIDI command from Torq to each VST (i.e., its limited). I'm not sure you can do this in Torq 1.5, but definitely could in 1.07, but I was able to route all my audio using Jack so that I was using Torq for DVS (with the External mixing), but sending both channel outputs to Ableton Live and mixing down there. And I could use VST's, Ableton Eq's, and so forth just like I was working in ableton live.

I'm curious to see if thats possible with 1.5, but I don't have turntables anymore. Its pretty easy to check, are you still able to change the soundcard that Torq 1.5 uses?

Tech Wizard

ah, just remembered another thing which is limiting in TP if you want to use ableton too. You couldn't use the internal mixer and EQs if you want to route both or all 4 channel separate into ableton.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ht=external+eq

Tech Wizard

you can assign the midi clock to a deck in traktor and when yu change the external pitch of it the midi clock works the same??? thats new for me... didint know that traktor has this feature now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast