too ambitious? or best idea ever?

Default too ambitious? or best idea ever?

I have a BCD3000 and I love MOST of it. My biggest complaints are the buttons and knobs are way too close together, the jogwheel is too small and too close to my pitch faders, and the buttons are too small. My plan is to open the controller up, remove the pcb, buttons, faders etc. And mount them all into a larger case. I work at RIM, so I have quite a few friends with solder experience, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something like this. I don't have the extra $$ to just buy a larger controller so I want to mod my bcd.

open it up and take some photos of the circuit boards... someone on here will be able to give you a better answer. I'd say you'd probably need to speak to your friend to see if he has the skills/inclination to do the solder work for you!

Tech Guru

in theory you could remove the pcb, install it into a larger case, and use something like cat 5 cable to extend each pot
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I'm at work right now, I will take pics when I get a chance, my only concern is that the buttons/faders etc are soldered to the pcb, and not mounted to the case. If they are soldered, it will be more work, but soldering wires to the leads on the buttons and then to the pcb won't be an issue. Any suggestions for enclosure suppliers that have a case the size of a vms4?

Tech Mentor

I think it's v.similar to the 2000 inside
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQaSbsQVqY

If it is, then it's gonna be a lot of work to remove the parts from the 2 main boards with a rework station and a mile of desolder braid to then add extension wires and space everything out a bit more.
    Cutting the boards into sections and rejoining the tracks with extension wires is another possibility that would require less work/tools and skill, if the board isn't too complicated on the underside. It would probably make it easier to mount everything in a new case easier as well, as you could drill some new screw holes in the boards to attach them to a new case.

I'd just swap it for a RMX or save up for something better tbqh.

Tech Guru

Bump on the photos.

It appears the main board is one solid piece and I don't have a clue what options are available.

So unless you have the ability to pry and or cut off the faders, jogs and buttons. Maybe possible.

Usually buttons are a series of "metal" that is embeded on the board. In that case you would have to DIY, making a bypass. Soldering the connections to a aftermarket button.

Faders are usually a unit that has pins going into th board. You could shave and cut them out and just connect them with wire.

Imo Sounds a bit over ambitious, but I do think its possible. Just not worth the effort and the possibility of damage is something to take into consideration.