Gear insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear insurance

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Gear insurance

So how do you guys go about insuring your gear for live use? Obviously we can't always rely on the venues (or the guys who throw house parties), so who do you guys go through for insurance? How much does it cost?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

As of my New Years Eve problem... I am very interested in this as well.

I was looking at just a simple general insurance, should cover anything you put on it.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

Cant you put it on your homeowners insurance?
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

I doubt Spilling liquids in your stuff is covered by any insurance to be honest. What my DAD did was to use children in his family and friends to "blame" (with parents consent of course) when stuff like that happened to his Laptop or other things! I was the victim twice when I was under 18

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You don't think that kind of damage would be covered by an insurance policy? Theft, breaking, etc. etc.?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

If you do not know who did it, and can get someone to blame, then i think you are fkd But thats how it used to be in Germany and Sweden. Theft, of course it works, but I mean, they really investigate those things: WHERE? When? Was it in a secure place?! I mean how can you say something was stolen if it was not, cause you need breakin marks etc etc. I dont know, I just know that insurance companies make it as impossible as possible to get you your munnz back!

Goodluck with insurance for lappy or midi gear. You have to take care of your stuff, and also have a Gear Wingman as a 2nd pair of eyes if you are in a open space with no dj booth.

*** Just found this online for USA ***

Dj Insurance, from what I read it doesn't cover Rave or Rave-style Events, oh well.

http://www.rvnuccio.com/dj-mobile-en...-overview.html
    Last edited by JesC; 01-02-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Interesting subject I work repairing computers. When we have customers with liquid damage or any physical damage, then the manufactures warranty doesn't cover it. But if they bought their computer with their American express card they cover it. In some situations their home owners insurance covers it.
    Thank Ya!!!

i would always try to "blame" (like nemo said) freinds, family... i always handled it like that with my best mate.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

You CAN insure your gear.

First, make your DJ name a limited liability company. This is just a good policy PERIOD. (if you accidentally break someone's million dollar rig, they can't come after you personally for it)

Once you've done that, any gear you purchase or "acquire" as assets for the company will be covered by your SMB Insurance. Be sure you save all receipts and for handmade items be sure to call your adjuster and have them assess the value (based on patents, resell ability, potential lost/gained profits, etc)

This is VERY important to do. I have a friend who ended up getting taken to court and lost because a jerk of a club owner decided to go after him, because he was the "guest" dj at the club when a piece of equipment was broken. (the other DJ broke it) And he couldn't afford it....it turned into a huuuge ordeal. Plus, you get tehz insurance!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast