Bitrate, PANIC!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitrate, PANIC!

Tech Wizard

Default Bitrate, PANIC!

Hi there,

short question: somehow, in a moment of extended stupidity, I have changed my BP download settings to 192 vbr *.aac, instead of 320 cbr *.mp3, way back in september. Yes, I forgot to change it back and it just dawned on me when I got confirmation for a gig in a club with a funktion 1 sound system. I know 192 kbps vbr is shit, but aac can get away with slightly more compression than mp3. So far it wasn't a problerm since most places had crap sound systems and people were high on a cross section of your average drug store range of goods. No-one cared. This is different and I don't wanna look like a dork playing audibly low-q tracks.

Do I have to beg BP to allow me to re-DL some 500 tracks in mp3 r can I get away with it? Keep in mind I will be playing the first 3 hours, so the club won't be crowded and people won't be drunk yet.

God I am not looking forward to re-gridding everything, setting 8x500 cue points again, losing all my playlists etc...

cheers,
    kv

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Groats View Post
    Do I have to beg BP to allow me to re-DL some 500 tracks in mp3 r can I get away with it? Keep in mind I will be playing the first 3 hours, so the club won't be crowded and people won't be drunk yet.
    You can get away with 192. I doubt that will be the ultimate limiting factor on sound quality in the signal chain.

Just know that Bieber tracks still won't sound any better in 320

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Have a look in your BP account and there should be a section that allows you to download the tracks again. Might be easier to install their little app to do it though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

192 does not sound that bad, keep your levels on green, traktor at -7.2 db output and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    192 does not sound that bad, keep your levels on green, traktor at -7.2 db output and you will be fine.
    Why is that? Does Traktor distort the output when it is over that or something?

The louder the output from Traktor the more likely the distortion, just giving your tracks best chance of sounding crisp on the Funktion 1.

Also, I suspect if you're doing the warm up set they will probably have a limiter on for you anyway.

When the main act comes on they will turn the system up to 11 I bet ya.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

A lower bit rate file can't handle being played at a higher volume. So if you keep the volume manageable it will sound better.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    The louder the output from Traktor the more likely the distortion, just giving your tracks best chance of sounding crisp on the Funktion 1.
    Yeah I know but I was just wondering why -7.2dB? Very specific number! ha

But yeah at 192 you'd be pretty safe, it's unlikely someone will notice and even if they do they would blame the system before they blame you.. Unless they're a regular haha

Tech Mentor

On trial and error I discover that. At that output volume you can push a xone mixer to +3 on peaks and not having distortion and on pioneer mixers as well on the gains. Those ah mixers really like to be above 0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast