What Amp should I buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Amp should I buy?

Im a beginner and its time for to upgrade from my KRK monitors to some bigger speakers with more wattage. I have a Numark DJ IO sound card with one RCA jack going into one KRK speaker and another one going into the other. Obviously these bigger speakers don't have RCA inputs so I'm going to need an amp to go from my DJ IO into the amp and out to the speakers.

Since I don't really know what is good and whats bad, I was wondering if someone could tell me amps that they think are good and recommend buying. This would be greatly appreciated since I'm a beginner and am new to the DJ industry.

Thanks!

Crate... sorry couldnt resist =p
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

What purpose do you have for buying them?

If you're talking about your bedroom, well…you don't need more. Maybe add a sub (which basically requires a PA mixer after your interface) if you want more bass.

If you're talking about a system for parties, that's a completely different situation. But we need to know what you want the new system for in order to recommend anything.

Oh sorry. It would be a system for parties. Sorry for not specifying clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by mdecasperis95 View Post
    Oh sorry. It would be a system for parties. Sorry for not specifying clearly.
    Do you already own the speakers that you want to use with this amp?

If so how much watt are these amps and ohm.

I think you better go to a specialized shop in your neighberhood.

The way you set up this question, i think your better off talking to someone, face to face.

You don't have to buy from them but they can explain what you will need, Normally you need a heavier amp than your speaker output.

But if you don't own any speakers yet, i would recommend powered speakers, Less hassle and they are already fine tuned for the job.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Powered speakers are one good option. The Mackie Thumps seem to be a favorite for just starting out.

http://www.mackie.com/enews/2009/08/...e_thump_t.html

One benefit to going with an amp though is that if you're moderately handy with wood working tools you can build your own speakers and get an incredible sounding system for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345

You'll connect these speakers by getting an RCA to 1/4" adapter. I would consider getting a sound card with balanced outs though then you could use 1/4" TRS or XLR depending on what the speakers offered.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Befriend your local church and ask them to use their Peavey's.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

If you just want recommendations on amps, I've had very good luck with the QSC RMX series…the things sound very warm for a SS amp, have all the features you really need, and last for freaking ever.

Powered speakers are a bit more convenient, though they're more expensive to fix if things go wrong, and the cable setup is often more annoying if you're doing anything but running 2 full range cabs. I also really hate those mackie thumps. They're fine speakers, but I've never heard them set up correctly. The tweeters are always way too loud…probably because no one gets subs with them and just turns them up until they get something resembling the 'thump' dance music is supposed to have…which doesn't work.

If you go with separate stuff…the proper rating for an amp is about twice as powerful as your speakers…just don't turn it up above 50% (your'e snot supposed to). Start reading about headroom if you want to know why. And for most dance music, you want twice the power going to subs as full range speakers with 1-2 times the surface area of subwoofer cones compared to woofer cones if you can. Most people don't do that and think it's excessive…I think it makes a phenomenal difference. If I had a choice, I'd never play on a sound system that wasn't designed like that. IMHO, a pair of RP5s and an RP10s sound better and more present than a pair of Mackie Thumps and will put up with just about as much…without loosing too much volume for house parties…and neither is appropriate for even a small club, so screw it.

I've also heard very good things about some of the Mackie amps on a budget, and Behringer's new series is supposed to be pretty cool…but I'm not in the market, so I haven't looked at much else.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    and Behringer's new series is supposed to be pretty cool…but I'm not in the market, so I haven't looked at much else.
    I've heard the same, but can't confirm it with any first hand knowledge.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yeah…I don't think they've shipped yet.

They make pretty big claims, though…and a lot of Behringer's non-DJ stuff is very good for the price…they're kinda the Peavey of the Pro Audio world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast