That Effect That A Lot of Dj's Use
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default That Effect That A Lot of Dj's Use

Hi guys (and girls),
    I'm pretty new at this dj'ing thing, but I've been putting in my hours to try and get better. I just have one question for nice build-effects. Currently I've mapped a sweep with the iceverb, peakfilter, and reverb chained together. I'd heard this can also be done with a T3 Reverb in freeze mode.

But the one main effect I would like to learn how to do is when DJ's take a loop, and make it smaller (which i can do), but at the same time raise the pitch a lot and a kind of filtery sound. I hope you guys understand what I mean, it's when the loop gets really small and the pitch gets really high right before a big drop.

If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it

Thanks
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

do the same thing you did for the sweep but instead map the loop feature and key feature to a knob? Or instead of key, you can use filter which does something similar (depending on which filter you are using)

right now I'm using the basic filter. Should i use something different?
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

I don't know ... mess around ... You got Transpose Stretch, Ringmolulator, Formant Filter ... each of those would give you something interesting/different ... just mess around until you get the sound you like

Tech Guru

use the beatmasher instead of the loop feature bc if u wnted to loop a build up and you ended the loop, you wouldnt end up at the Drop. hope that makes sense.
    so use the beatmasher and then when you see on the waveform that the beat is about to drop, turn off beatmasher.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Guru

try your combo peak,reverb,ice as the filter sound your looking for. I messed around and got some decent results by looping a song cutting it down from 4, 2 , 1 and as soon as i get to .5 I start the filter sweep and as soon as I get down to 1/4 i start to raise the pitch slowly. I dunno w/ some practice I'm sure it could sound pretty good.

The only problem with the beatmasher (unless I'm totally making this up) is that you can't add any effects on top of it ... it just saves a part of the song and loops it over and over so you couldn't have it raise in pitch or use a fader on it.

To solve the issue though so you don't screw up on the buildup is to just use the loop with ringmodulator or w/e you choose ... bring it down small while using the sweep effect and then just hot cue to the drop? Might sound a little awkward ... this might work better when you want to go from one song to another.

crush the loop down, and turn the key up, work in filter to add to the 'build up'

optional; drop some gater on there to

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    The only problem with the beatmasher (unless I'm totally making this up) is that you can't add any effects on top of it ... it just saves a part of the song and loops it over and over so you couldn't have it raise in pitch or use a fader on it.

To solve the issue though so you don't screw up on the buildup is to just use the loop with ringmodulator or w/e you choose ... bring it down small while using the sweep effect and then just hot cue to the drop? Might sound a little awkward ... this might work better when you want to go from one song to another.
    effects after it can. if you have it as last part in a chain or in fx bank 4 (or 2 if you only on 2 bank mode) then it'll just sample everything. put it in before something and you can mess with it further.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Wouldn't you just lock the loop then drag it down by halving it to shorten the loop (shift and /Loop on DJTT's VCI mapping), and at the same time use a key or octave stepper effect to step up/down the pitch of it?
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast