DJ competition do's, don'ts and general advice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ competition do's, don'ts and general advice PLEASE

Hey friends. So just got myself a fiercely competitive dj comp and need some djtt support.
    Anything you can throw at me if you've had this experience would be awesome..
    And just to add to it, the equipment is going to be pioneer 850's, which I've never used before, but am familiar with the 1000 so shouldn't be a huge issue, will have to get a usb sorted though.

^ Anyone have experience setting up a decent system for browsing on one of the new cdj's? I know there's a couple of 2000 users around..

Anyway, anything you can think of would be appreciated!
    Last edited by levvis; 02-23-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: title

bumpity bump. c'mon fams get your tips at me!

if you're going first, don't blow your load on the first run.
    if you're going second, repeat and elaborate on the tech of the first guy (phrasing, juggling, cutting, etc). again, don't blow your load on the first run.
    don't let it get personal.
    have fun.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Only ever used an 850 in panic mode when I was at a party an the DJs were late - had a couple of memory sticks with tunes on, so used them - IIRC you can pick your way through a directory tree easy enough ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I did some previously (the following may or may not apply depending of the type of music you're going to play or the type of contest you're going to enter but that's few thought, hope it helps).

- don't compare yourself to others, you have your tools, your style that's all that matters (ie no bad mouth about others and be proud for what you do).
    - adapt to the audience/place/club you're going to perform. It's not the time to play that very underground dirty techno track that only you and other three people actually like. I say "adapt", I mean you have to be yourself but play smart, no need to prostitute yourself but don't be dumb.
    - give the best you can do technically. This is a demo, only one chance you have to shine. Do it like it would be the only one time you may perform for your entire life. Now, don't try to put forward tricks and routines you cant' perform under stress, you may be surprised on how one reacts. If you're not comfortable, prepare at least one/two routines that can be technically advanced and that you know you'll be able to perform even with closed eyes.
    - everybody can be 'in your face', be a bit subtle in your playlist even if you have to reach a goal (hence the "adapt part") BUT whatever you play be efficient.
    - think that the guy before may want to play that particular song which is a sure favorite of you - and potentially the crowd.. well, too bad he was before you, deal with it, adapt.
    - Have an intro of some kind (make people know you start, that's your 'space' they are going to enter) and finish with a great moment (choose the emotion you want to finish with). Know approximatively with what you wanna start, the cruise mood you want to reach and the apotheosis of your set.
    - Accept to make mistakes or be confronted with any technical problems that may arise, swallow it, you have to be professional in all cases. It's ok to make some mistakes if the rest is great.
    - bring some suppport (friends, girlfriend)
    - FUCKING DANCE AND ENJOY YOUR TIME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    don't let it get personal.
    I'd say the exact opposite. Some of the greatest battle DJ's ever always started their sets by dissing the other guys. Not verbally, but with their tracks. Here's an example... one of the best ever. Roc Raida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE4ezpRq80k

Cheers doods! some awesome words in here. Got my slot and my first heat isn't for 2 weeks so just putting together a gang of tracks I'd want to play and beating myself over the head with them.

I think I'd rather party to the other dj's set, I agree, no reason to get hostile, it's all fun. I'm just stoked to be playing out tbh.
    Did a bit more research on the 850 and geez it's an expensive brick.. Can't believe they've replaced hot cues with auto loops. anyway, should be able to make something out of it but still, will only have one starting point for every track.

thanks for putting effort into your posts guys, it's what makes this forum so dope!

Don't drop an N-word sample.

I did a DJ comp last year and came second (missed tied first by one point). But also got a residency out of it.

1.But simple enough, make sure you have tracks to suit all times of the night organised.
    2.Make sure your prepared for any mishaps.
    3.Make sure you have more than enough tracks.
    4.Make sure you have a back up.
    5.Dance.
    6.Make eye contact with the crowd.
    7.Get the crowd involved.
    8.(If your a technical DJ) Show that you can be technical but don't try stuff you aren't 100% comfortable with incase you f*ck up.
    9.Enjoy the experience because if your all tense that won't help.
    10. Again just enjoy the whole thing, i can't stress that enough!

These are just a few basic things that help.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleansTECH View Post
    Don't drop an N-word sample.
    Haha, 2nd'd!

(Sorry for not contributing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast