Why do newbies automatically want gigs? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Iv been mixing for just under a year now and personally don't have the balls or skill set necessary to play gigs just yet. And for me, thats just fine. I guess my question is, once you've booked a gig, you can call yourself a DJ? Is this were the urge stems from? so newbies can tell their friends they are now a DJ??

btw i definitely don't consider myself anything more than a newbie to mixing but for this threads sake....ahh whatever.

I can definitely see the appeal of gigs so can understand the urge to book them and have a ridiculous amount of respect for you guys that make us drunkards rave. However, whats wrong with just enjoying a good mix with a few tins. Long live the bedroom DJ.
    13" Macbook 2.3Ghz - VCI100 BLK (oh yes, thats black people) - Vestax 'Tank' VAI-80 - Traktor Pro - KRK G2 Rokit 6 Pair

Tech Wizard

Am I supposed to take offence in your assumption that wedding DJs can't mix?

DJ by definition means some who plays records to an audience. Radio presenters used to be called DJs way before cabaret bands dismembered and the front man started to play records at parties because he couldn't rely on his band to turn up to the gigs.

But I don't think newbies automatically want gigs but playing music in your bedroom to yourself is a bit like masturbation. After a while you think you're pretty good at it and you want to try it for real.

The way i see it is DJ is a performing art. If you want to perform and you chose to for a crowd - then you're a DJ. If your whole goal is to "bedroom dj" then honestly to everyone else you may as well just have an ipod out with a pair of cans and listen to your own music.

DJs are performers. We perform. It's what we do. There's no two ways about that.

Honestly though, the way this thread is going - I wrote a essay on how I feel about it last night then after posting it I deleted it - everyone seems to understand the dillema but all I want everyone to understand is that you cannot measure skill by time invested.

Time =/= Skill.

If person A spends 5 hours learning and only understands 5% of what he's taught and person B spends 1 hour learning and understands 75% of what he's been taught ... clearly we know which one learned and understands more.

In my honest opinion, especially when performing or signing up to perform you will know if you're ready or not. And it is not your (anyones) place to tell anyone else they are not ready - short of a teacher.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by WooDz View Post
    playing music in your bedroom to yourself is a bit like masturbation. After a while you think you're pretty good at it and you want to try it for real.
    Haha You are very wise
    13" Macbook 2.3Ghz - VCI100 BLK (oh yes, thats black people) - Vestax 'Tank' VAI-80 - Traktor Pro - KRK G2 Rokit 6 Pair

In my opinion, the term "DJ" is very outdated now. It originally was what you called someone presenting/playing music on a radio show. Then it morphed into someone who spun vinyls live.

By now, it's moved on to something different. A very creative person can get one song to play for 30 minutes making it sound exciting and fresh. They're not DJ's. The term "controlleist" doesn't quite capture it either.

I reckon a new generation is coming through with the new technology. The majority of people using APC40's, VCI-100's etc etc wouldn't have a clue on vinyls. It's now more accessible. To me, the term "DJ" is redundant almost by now and the term "controllerist" doesn't spark the excitement/imagination in crowds/listeners. I reckon it's time for a new term for the new generation.

Just my opinion....
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

i'd rather use the term digital jockey (since I don't use vinyl )

i prefer amateur gynaecologist myself
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    i prefer amateur gynaecologist myself
    This.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Wizard

I started to write a post last night but it ended up on my blog instead.

Wanna be a dj?

Djing isn't clear cut.
    When I do weddings and private parties I gear the music around the guests.
    I mix what can be mixed, I drop to keep the energy up of tracks that can't mix. I also play that classic that you can see the guests are totally immersed in, right to the end. I can't count on 2 hands the amount of times the people on the dance floor have applauded at the end of a song in appreciation. Let me tell you, it's a great feeling, more so than when a load of girls scream because you've just put Plan-B on. Yes I do try to play every request even the ones that I know will only leave the person who requested it on the dance floor.

However for the club, there's far more is pressure to keep momentum on the floor. The crowd need to be taken on a journey. It's a themed night I do so although I write the requests down the chances of me having them are not high. I have a thought about how the warm up will go. I have a 2 hour structured set and lastly we have the play-out which I'll use for requests and eclectic mixes keeping people in the club for as long as possible.

Sorry now I'm really OT

Quote Originally Posted by WooDz View Post
    I started to write a post last night but it ended up on my blog instead.

Wanna be a dj?

Djing isn't clear cut.
    When I do weddings and private parties I gear the music around the guests.
    I mix what can be mixed, I drop to keep the energy up of tracks that can't mix. I also play that classic that you can see the guests are totally immersed in, right to the end. I can't count on 2 hands the amount of times the people on the dance floor have applauded at the end of a song in appreciation. Let me tell you, it's a great feeling, more so than when a load of girls scream because you've just put Plan-B on. Yes I do try to play every request even the ones that I know will only leave the person who requested it on the dance floor.

However for the club, there's far more is pressure to keep momentum on the floor. The crowd need to be taken on a journey. It's a themed night I do so although I write the requests down the chances of me having them are not high. I have a thought about how the warm up will go. I have a 2 hour structured set and lastly we have the play-out which I'll use for requests and eclectic mixes keeping people in the club for as long as possible.

Sorry now I'm really OT
    In your blog, you state all the bedroom DJs say they mix "Electro-house" and they you go on to say I wish they would surprise me. Can you elaborate?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast