how long to apple's thunderbolt fails
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default how long to apple's thunderbolt fails

Firewire never really took off. I do not see why apple is so kean to release there own protocol that has massive patents on, so hardly any pc manufactures add this to there products and falls down just like firewire.

I understant there are advantages of having a totally hardware based system however it is twice the speed of usb 3.0 at ten gig per second. but usb 3.0 is 4.8 gig. so a 50 gig music collection will take ten seconds to transfer but with thunderbolt it will take 5. Who needs that speed on there laptop.

I cannot see people like dell and hp going for this when usb 3.0 is somthing the average consumer will understand. I think this is a big waste of money for apple and intel.

Could be usefull for video mixing with a box like a sound card that did all the processing and took the strain off the laptop. However usb 3.0 would be quick enuf. 0.2 seconds to load up an entire film in .avi format about the same for a hd music vid

im sure their using the macbooks to introduce it. see how it goes, they have nothing to lose really. and im sure its also going to go on the big boy tower and their desktops too
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

yea they have just added it to the new macbooks. It will of cost a shed load of cash to develope. Just seems a waste of money when usb 3.0 is out and usb 4.0 will have the same speeds when they use fibre optics its just the cost atm. That is probly why apple didnt use fibre optic for the 1st gen of thunderbolt aswell

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    Firewire never really took off. I do not see why apple is so kean to release there own protocol that has massive patents on, so hardly any pc manufactures add this to there products and falls down just like firewire.

I understant there are advantages of having a totally hardware based system however it is twice the speed of usb 3.0 at ten gig per second. but usb 3.0 is 4.8 gig. so a 50 gig music collection will take ten seconds to transfer but with thunderbolt it will take 5. Who needs that speed on there laptop.

I cannot see people like dell and hp going for this when usb 3.0 is somthing the average consumer will understand. I think this is a big waste of money for apple and intel.

Could be usefull for video mixing with a box like a sound card that did all the processing and took the strain off the laptop. However usb 3.0 would be quick enuf. 0.2 seconds to load up an entire film in .avi format about the same for a hd music vid

Dude, you are so misinformed.

Go google "Light Peak"

The technology was created by Intel, and it IS the peripheral bus of the future.

It supports all display standards (..like HDMI) it supports USB 3.0, FireWire, 10Gbps Ethernet, eSATA and many more.

It is being introduced at 10Gbps transfer rate over the "Light Peak" bus.

It is a hybrid optical/copper wire cable that will support AC power to fully power peripheral devices from the on-board power supply.

(i.e. No more need for external power adapters for large peripheral devices like monitors and large DJ controllers)

Being an optical cable its maximum run distance is somewhere around 300 meters!!! Thats compared to the maximum run distance of 5 meters with copper wire.

The fact that you think this is some apple proprietary technology is absolutely hilarious.

All they have a patent on is their "ThunderBolt" moniker that they are going to be producing this bus under.

It will be fully compatible with the Intel iteration of Light Peak, witch can already be used in a desktop with a PCI-Express card adapter.

So Intel released it into the market first as well.

To follow up:

Light Peak will scale up to 100Gbps, and WILL SUPPORT USB4.0.

AND, the only reason apple is releasing the first iteration of ThunderBolt as a copper only cable is the first generation of Light Peak is a copper only cable.

Intel says it will not affect the throughput of the bus, but the cable length advantages of optical wont be realized until the copper/optical hybrid comes out.

Why don't you actually try researching something before you go making ridiculously uniformed claims about a technology you obviously don't understand.

So in response to the thread titles question:

"How long till *apples* thunderbolt fails"

Is actually more like:

"How long till *intels* Light Peak is the standard peripheral bus on all computing devices"

And the answer to that question is probably not more than 2 or 3 years.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-25-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Guru

yeah dude its not apple's technology. it's intel's.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Dude, you are so misinformed.

Go google "Light Peak"

The technology was created by Intel, and it IS the peripheral bus of the future.

It supports all display standards (..like HDMI) it supports USB 3.0, FireWire, 10Gbps Ethernet, eSATA and many more.

It is being introduced at 10Gbps transfer rate over the "Light Peak" bus.

It is a hybrid optical/copper wire cable that will support AC power to fully power peripheral devices from the on-board power supply.

Being an optical cable its maximum run distance is somewhere around 300 meters!!! Thats compared to the maximum run distance of 5 meters with copper wire.

The fact that you think this is some apple proprietary technology is absolutely hilarious.

All they have a patent on is their "ThunderBolt" moniker that they are going to be producing this bus under.

It will be fully compatible with the Intel iteration of Light Peak, witch can already be used in a desktop with a PCI-Express card adapter.

So Intel released it into the market first as well.

To follow up:

Light Peak will scale up to 100Gbps, and WILL SUPPORT USB4.0.

AND, the only reason apple is releasing the first iteration of ThunderBolt as a copper only cable is the first generation of Light Peak is a copper only cable.

Intel says it will not affect the throughput of the bus, but the cable length advantages of optical wont be realized until the copper/optical hybrid comes out.

Why don't you actually try researching something before you go making ridiculously uniformed claims about a technology you obviously don't understand.

So in response to the thread titles question:

"How long till *apples* thunderbolt fails"

Is actually more like:

"How long till *intels* Light Peak is the standard peripheral bus on all computing devices"

And the answer to that question is probably not more than 2 or 3 years.
    So what your saying is an Apple is nothing more than a glorified PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Unknown View Post
    lets not start this. lets keep this about the main topic
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

LOL I am fully aware it is a version of light peak. Thunderbolt is just apples version. Look at how many of this gens motherboards have it compared to usb 3.0. Where are you getting ur distances from usb 2.0 is rated at 10meters and can actually function without a repeater up2 about 100 meters

The version that apple is using is not a hybrid. it is a copper cable plain and simple. Apple thunderbolt is a unquie connector for light peak. So yes it is. Oh yea you can buy adapters so its a bit pointless.

Do you even know wat a bus is, and types of bus

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Unknown View Post
    No, that is not what I am saying, at all.

You obviously have no ability to apply any type of deductive reasoning to ANYTHING you experience in your life.

What I AM saying is:

This ISN'T Apple technology, its Intel technology.

Apple ISN'T the first to release it, PCI-Epress card with "Light Peak" buses have been out for about 6 months for desktop PC's.

Apple IS the FIRST to manufacture this bus into a laptop.

Apple IS using the FIRST generation of Light Peak that is a copper only wire.

This peripheral BUS technology...

(Yes, Light Peak is a "BUS" technology, not an "Interface" technology like say, USB, or MIDI, or FireWire, all of witch are translated over the "PCI BUS" on your computing device)

...is going to be capable of supporting ALL types of peripheral devices, including LAN connections, and all types of external storage technology.

The way this BUS is going, in the very near future the only plug besides the one for you power adapter on your laptop will be Light Peak/ Thunderbolt plugs.

Thats fucking awesome!

No more "I cant buy that model cause it doesn't have FireWire, or it doesn't have HDMI."

And no more "I'm not going to buy that model because I don't need FireWire."

But go ahead, go on and display you utter lack of intelligence and retort away.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    LOL I am fully aware it is a version of light peak. Thunderbolt is just apples version. Look at how many of this gens motherboards have it compared to usb 3.0. Where are you getting ur distances from usb 2.0 is rated at 10meters and can actually function without a repeater up2 about 100 meters

The version that apple is using is not a hybrid. it is a copper cable plain and simple. Apple thunderbolt is a unquie connector for light peak. So yes it is. Oh yea you can buy adapters so its a bit pointless.

Do you even know wat a bus is, and types of bus

Again showing your lack of understanding of the technology.

I'm fully aware you can get the data signal further than 5 meters over USB.

But you are not going to get the USB power to transmit with ought any loss over that distance, period.

And like I said, Apples first iterations (copper only) is the first generation of Light Peak.

The first generation of Light Peak is a copper only wire, the copper/optical hybrid has not been released yet, in Light Peak or ThunderBolt.

So you are wrong again.

ThunderBolt is not Apples (copper only) version of Light Peak.

ThunderBolt IS the first generation of Light Peak, witch IS a copper only wire.

Go ahead, continue to display your misunderstanding of this technology.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast