Advice for beginner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Advice for beginner

Hi all, just registered, what a fantastic site this is! I hope you guys can help me out

I'm new to the DJ world, but I seem to have the hunger for it! I have a few questions and a bit of a dilemma, perhaps you guys can help me out.

Regarding a set up for myself, I dunno to go for the Traktor S4 or for 2 CDJ 350s and the DJM 350?! Theres a bit of price difference and I'm only a student so it;ll take me a while to do some saving!

I'll be just playing in the room for a good few months then maybe a few parties here and there but nothing major planned yet.

None of my friends are into DJing so I can't try their CDJs and the music store in Ireland aren't greay so its not as if you can go into a store and try the stuff out!

so which route would you go down?

next question lol

Do you have any tips or tricks for a total beginner?

Is there any websites or programmes I can use to become better or is it down to practice makes perfect?

thanks guys

Do you really want a $900 setup if your just starting out?
    Look at the red link in my sig, thatll tell you most things you need for starting out
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Hey Man! Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Do you really want a $900 setup if your just starting out?
    Hey, if he's dedicated, why not? I started on an S4, and picked up all my gear in my sig within 4 months (this being my fourth month), including the MacBook pro.

I suggest you look at your budget realistically and then decide from there. From what i've heard the 350s aren't great. However, each person does have their preferences. I know I was happy with my S4 purchase, but you may not be. At the end of the day though, remember it is your choice.

Thats just my two cents.
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 02-27-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Hey man. Welcome to DJTT. The first thing to decide is whether you are going down the controller route or the cd/vinyl route. I would personally start with manually beatmatching only because that's the way I started and it's alot of fun to learn. However, if you have the hunger like you say you do, you will definitely change your gear on more than one occasion so don't feel that the choice you make now is what you will stick with!!

Whatever happens just totally enjoy it and do things that make you feel comfortable and confident because that more than anything will project itself to your crowd (no matter how big or small)!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Hey Man! Welcome to the forums!

Hey, if he's dedicated, why not? I started on an S4, and picked up all my gear in my sig within 4 months (this being my fourth month), including the MacBook pro.

I suggest you look at your budget realistically and then decide from there. From what i've heard the 350s aren't great. However, each person does have their preferences. I know I was happy with my S4 purchase, but you may not be. At the end of the day though, remember it is your choice.

Thats just my two cents.
    hey thanks man for the feedback

I already have a macbook pro, its rather new, maybe a month old or so.

I am dedicated. I'm 24 now and always wanted to DJ. When I was 13 I bought 2 turntables and a mixer, but i never stuck at it cause I didn't understand what to do and I had no you tube or forums like this to help me out!

I'm doing a Multimedia degree course so maybe thats where the interest is coming back from and the fact that every weekend I go out and just stare at the DJ box and dream lol

I love everything about DJing, not just the music, I love the lights, the crowds, everything! this is something I wanna do!

Regarding my budget, I have about 1000euros to spend. Hopefully its a enough to get me a decent kit?

What do you think of the S4? I'd love to hear some feedback from users.

p.s whats sig?

thanks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Hey man. Welcome to DJTT. The first thing to decide is whether you are going down the controller route or the cd/vinyl route. I would personally start with manually beatmatching only because that's the way I started and it's alot of fun to learn. However, if you have the hunger like you say you do, you will definitely change your gear on more than one occasion so don't feel that the choice you make now is what you will stick with!!

Whatever happens just totally enjoy it and do things that make you feel comfortable and confident because that more than anything will project itself to your crowd (no matter how big or small)!!

Hey, thanks man, an honor to be chatting with guys that love to DJ.

As I said I'm not sure which route to go down, the music shops in Ireland haven't got cdjs or controllers set up so I could have a go on them to get the feel of it and I have no mates interested in DJing.

As said about my budget is a 1000s euro at max.

I have a Macbook pro so maybe getting the S4 would be a good option?

I'v downloaded the trial version of traktor and just been getting use to it messing around with. I'm also watching lots of videos on youtube and also reading a book at the moment on "How to DJ properly" so I'm fairly dedicated.

Ha I dont think I'll be ready to play to any crowds for a while man, I'll leave that up to the pros like you guys

Tech Mentor

if buying the S4 do you get an upgrade to traktor pro 2 when it comes out?

the S4 is a great buy. 900 euro in the shops in Ireland.
    but you may get cheaper if you look around, but as you probably know, there is not much choice here when it comes to dj stores.
    the S4 is an all in one software/hardware and soundcard. so it will do the job nicely indeed. i know, i have one
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Mentor

hey man, thanks for the feedback

Ye are they good for the beginner?

I was in sounds around yesterday and they had one in stock for 900euro, I was checking on ebay and there pretty much the same!

I noticed you have a cool stand as well for it! My room is a box room so I'd be limited with space so I might pick one of them up!

keep an eye on adverts.ie mate, its great for deals

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast