Smoking Ordinances

Default Smoking Ordinances

The smoking ordinance just kicked in, in Portland, OR. And surprisingly enough, our business BOOMED the first weekend after the start of it. Every club in town did better business than it has all winter.

How has your city delt with or plans on dealing with the non-smoking ordinances? And has it increased or decreased business?

I was honestly surprised as HELL that it increased our business this weekend. (by about 20% which is HUGE!)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

In Glasgow there was not much of a change when the smoking ban was a couple of years back. The clubbing scene didnt see any change really, it was only some small pubs/bars that were initially effected. Now that all the outside smoking shelters and outside arrangements in place on these premises business is back to normal.

The thing that first struck me was the smell of sweat in all the clubs now that the smoke is no longer there to filter it, but everyone is used to it now.

hehe, we've already been talking about pumping air fresheners through the air-filtering system, to try to make the sweaty bodies more bearable.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

here in germany. we have smoking ordinances for about 2 years, now. at the beginning the clubs were pretty empty because everyone was saying i´d rather smell like a cigarette after party than dealing with sweatsmell of dancing people. and i had to admit they were right. after a couple months the club were full again, but it´s was just because a lot of people now don´t care about this stupid law anymore. the later the night the smokers inside. but nobody say´s something against it, cause the later the night the more sweat and it´s good to have some people smoking in the clubs
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

The ban didn't cause to much trouble here in NJ. If anything it just gives all the addicted people something else to bitch about other than the fact that they "need" a smoke. Now they "need" to smoke outside. Pathetic.

Im in NJ close to the PA border. NJ has a ban and PA doesnt. I am a non smoker and love coming home from a Jersey spot without stinking of stale smoke or smelling smoke wash out of my hair the next morning in the shower. I went out in PA last night. Sure enough all of my clothes including my jacket stink and need to be washed and as soon as I hop in the shower Im sure my hair is going to smell like cigarettes. I love the ban.

Detroit...we can still smoke everywhere.

I dunno what I would do if I couldn't.

When I played in DC last month, both clubs let me smoke 'in the back'. Nice managers.

To tell you the truth, I hate the way my gear, my clothes, and I smell after a busy night at my Saturday night residency...I truly do...but such is life I guess.

Not to bad actually. Yea it does smell of sweat but its not that bad, they usually have some sort of system that removes the smell and the clubs I go to. Concerts are a bit of a different story. Since it's the French speaking province (nothing againts the french), but LOTS of people smoke here and usually end up lighting up during a concert. Its a bit annoying if you stand next to them, but usually nobody cares.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I spin in the basement of a dive bar. If we get 50 people down there it starts to smell like human mixed with shame. If we could smoke down there it would b a nightmare. I love that people can't smoke inside anymore, but I'm not a smoker.

I don't think it really seriously affected business in the long term, but the ban has been in effect for years at this point.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

We have had smoking bans here in Australia for a while now, people can smoke outside usually and those sections can get majorly cramped.