Serato Itch 2.0 - Coming early April! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by robtronik View Post
    I finally watched this video and in all of my beat gridding experience (which admittedly is only like going through about 1000 tracks after analyzation, I've never had what you show there happen.

I see that you made anchor points so just out of curiosity, you erased all beat markers, set a new grid, and then put anchor points on downbeats and they shifted all by themselves after you correctly placed them?

dude its like a simple ass 4/4 track and he has placed some anchors correctly on the quarters but then there are others where he has got a bar stretched out over 5 and half beats. its particularly noticeable in parts where the drums drop out and hes got an anchor a half beat before the drums kick back in. that track is obviously the sort of track that just follows an 8 bar architecture, theres no poly rhythm or odd beat signature - he just fucked up his anchors.

sometimes i will do my beat gridding and realize i got it all wrong and go back and delete them ... but i may miss one or two so when i do go back and get it right, most of the track will be correct but the closer you get to that remnant the more the timing is going to be really skewed

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post

i think its you not the program.
    that was itch's doing.

I had beatgrid a previous copy of that track myself after I initially run into this specific issue. Manual beatgrid, auto beatgrid, all had the same result. Itch was also inserting markers on my tracks that I beatgrid for some reason. I got another new copy of the track from beatport and video taped the virgin auto beatgrided file as requested by Michael at Serato when we were working on this issue.

I spent the better part of NAMM hanging out with Michael and the rest of the guys at the serato booth. It's not like a hate the software or the company. Really nice bunch of guys. Sync in their product is just inferior and broken when compared to every single other dj software on the market. It's not just a tracktor thing. Deckadance, Mixvibes, Virtual DJ, Torq, as well as Traktor all have Serato's product beat hands down in this department. If you spend any time at all on the serato forums you would know this to be true. It's not like I'm some lone wolf with some random crazy assed claim that martians ate my brain and caused itch to flip out on me.

You shouldnt take things like this personally. It refelcts poorly on you.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

I don't know how you can make a claim like that when tons of people do not have the problem you have in the video.

Like I said, I've beat gridded over 1000 tracks and have not had that problem seen in the video.

It looks and sounds like an anomaly to me specific to your system.

Unless I'm missing this huge amount of support tickets on the Serato site. Are there?
    Known as Robtronik.

http://www.facebook.com.com/djrobtronik | Visit, Like, Stay in touch.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

bolded above is absolutely true. This alone makes the gridding by Itch superior to TSP.

The sync issue is only an issue if you have tracks that aren't correctly beatgridded throughout a track (like in TSP - but minus the part where you can adjust due to tempo changes).

I think we can all agree that TSP's gridding isn't perfect either. Have a track with variable tempo (or even tempo drift) you are out of luck.
    Dude this does not make sense to me.

A beat grid is a perfect measure of time based on BPM. A grid cannot be wrong.
    The bpm analysis can be wrong but that can easily be corrected.

TSPs gridding is 100% correct if the bpm is correct, i dont see how Traktor gird can be any worse that Itch.

Also, whats the point of havng variable grids like Itch if the sync function doesnt work.
    The only advantage is if your FX are bpm synced.

Thats a bit like saying i have Ferrari engine in my car but ive not got any tyres on the wheels.

I had no idea that Itchs Synd feature was poor. This is quite a revelation.

I hope to god that if NI ever implement warpable grids they keep the snc feature 100% spot on or it will be a massive fail.

I also assume that if variable grids and sync are an issue for Serato this might be a reason for NI taking so long to introduce it.

Tech Wizard

I have used Itch since the NS7 originally came out two years ago. Used Traktor before that. One thing to keep in mind here is that Itch is very very young compared to Traktor, beat gridding was added in the last version.

Traktors's sync is definitely tighter. I dont see how that can be argued. It behaves the exact same way each time its used and there are no surprises. The bottom line of this discussion is that in Itch sometimes you press sync and what happens is not what you were expecting. In my experience, pressing sync a second time almost always has the desired effect. For whatever reason, Itch seems to get confused on the first track of a drastically different BPM.

If I used the pitch faders to bring tracks to within two or three beats per minute of one another and they are properly gridded, I've never had the problem in the video. Especially if I just press sync a second time. The other component to consider is that with the stacked waveforms of Itch, correcting the issue takes maybe one or two seconds of manual beatmatching - its not rocket science.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dude this does not make sense to me.

A beat grid is a perfect measure of time based on BPM. A grid cannot be wrong.
    The bpm analysis can be wrong but that can easily be corrected.

TSPs gridding is 100% correct if the bpm is correct, i dont see how Traktor gird can be any worse that Itch.

Also, whats the point of havng variable grids like Itch if the sync function doesnt work.
    The only advantage is if your FX are bpm synced.

Thats a bit like saying i have Ferrari engine in my car but ive not got any tyres on the wheels.

I had no idea that Itchs Synd feature was poor. This is quite a revelation.

I hope to god that if NI ever implement warpable grids they keep the snc feature 100% spot on or it will be a massive fail.

I also assume that if variable grids and sync are an issue for Serato this might be a reason for NI taking so long to introduce it.
    I'll put it this way: Try beat gridding Lil Louis French Kiss track in Traktor.

Then try it in Serato's Itch.

:P

IOW, TSP cannot do variable beat gridding. It is one tempo per song with a possible beat marker to reset within a track, but everything subsequent to that beat marker is the new BPM Grid.

Serato works like Ableton warping. Easy peasy.
    Known as Robtronik.

http://www.facebook.com.com/djrobtronik | Visit, Like, Stay in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    that was itch's doing.

You shouldnt take things like this personally. It refelcts poorly on you.
    im not taking it personally im just responding to the info that was provided: you said you had an issue with the beat grids becoming spastic expanding /contracting, and the video you provided had some very obviously out of place anchors which would obviously explain the spastic behavior.

i guess you just had a shit draw on the luck then, because yeah ive never encountered that problem or even heard of that being an issue. i dont feel like your bad luck is really indicative of the reliability of itch.

Serato works like Ableton warping.

on the nose.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345