Getting a gig. How possible is this scenario? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

My first twenty gigs I got paid in cash.

Don't tell me you're worried some hotshot cop is gonna "bust yo ass" because you accept some beers, a burger and 50 bucks for a night of making people feel good!

Don't worry, they've got bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I would truly suggest just joining a frat on campus and DJ for them. I mean it's the closest thing you can do to a club per say.

This is just my two cents.
    thats how i got my start and expierence.

drunk chicks and frat guys are the easiest people to spin for. they dont give two shits unless the kegs tapped. and even then theyre only upset cause there is no more beer :P

in that situation put on the donkey kong themesong and hope people start throwing kegs at each other --- its happened. and its hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

work for "free" and then just accept "tips"

Find out if it's technically considered a job.
    I don't think it'll make it harder for you to get gigs because you won't accept payment O.o

Thank you all for the suggestions. All of them seem really plausible so I'll just see what I can do with that. Does anybody know if DJs need a special license to do gigs? Or would I just need to go up to the person who runs the place and say that I'd like to play some music in their establishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    There are two problems with his situation that people are not taking into account.

Firstly, if he works for free - as has been stated countless times before - he will get gigs (as long as he can DJ) by some jerk club owners who want to save as much as they can which will cost a working DJ (someone who depends on DJing to feed his family) his spot.

Secondly, I assume after you earn your degree in whatever it is you are studying currently you may some day want to work full time in the States. However, if you involve yourself in such activities and are caught some how it may permanently risk your status over here. As in they will probably send you back, and then revoke the right for you to re-enter the States without full sponsorship from a company. And there is no company I know that would do that in this economy, especially without making you fly down for an interview which you would not be allowed to do because of your visa status. A small move in hastiness could cost you your future.

And as for your question, you did not ask me to answer, as I am not a working DJ but I will take a stab at it. I would truly suggest just joining a frat on campus and DJ for them. I mean it's the closest thing you can do to a club per say.

This is just my two cents.
    CF is bang on. I have been through the full US immigration process as a Brit living in the USA with a green card. The last thing you want is to be in a situation where you (even inadvertently) piss someone off and have them pick up the phone to the CIS. It's a somewhat unlikely scenario but you are clearly in the US because you want to be so don't risk it for the rhythms. Anyone who advises you otherwise probably isn't a good source of guidance.

Play those parties, practice like hell and have fun.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by marc.elektro View Post
    Does anybody know if DJs need a special license to do gigs?
    You just need a license to party!

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    I would also like to add that making money is illegal in any country. That's called counterfeiting. Earning on the other hand...
    Just fell off the chair laughing haha
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

In California you don't have to claim anything less than (I think) $900 as taxable income, so you really shouldn't run into any trouble doing a few gigs under the table.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    In California you don't have to claim anything less than (I think) $900 as taxable income, so you really shouldn't run into any trouble doing a few gigs under the table.
    Yeah probably not going to risk it. Going to stick to the parties first and just see how it goes from there. Need to find more DJs in the Bay Area to hangout with and learn from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast