Getting a gig. How possible is this scenario? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

Bigger fish to fry is an understatement.

They have to prove that you accepted money in exchange for a service in order to revoke your status. Which is much more difficult then you might think when combined with the fact that no one cares.

If someone asked you to mow their lawn and then offered you ten dollars and a slice of pizza afterwords, would you really say "oh no no, I'm not allowed to accept that"?

Take everyone else's advice offered so far, play at a few frat parties etc. But don't turn down legitimate opportunities that will be offered to you as you start to become more experienced.

Give everyone a fake name if you want to be really careful.

Quote Originally Posted by marc.elektro View Post
    Yeah probably not going to risk it. Going to stick to the parties first and just see how it goes from there. Need to find more DJs in the Bay Area to hangout with and learn from.
    I DJ professionally (I have a business licence and report my earnings for tax purposes and all that) but when I do smaller gigs like bars and private parties I take cash under the table. It's really not an issue.

Whereabouts in the Bay are you? I'm always looking for more djs to kick it with.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Also, don't tell anyone about the student visa thing, it's none of their business.

Maybe try playing at a charity event or someplace that wouldn't be able to pay a DJ anyway?

I've always been paid cash for my gigs, as long as you make under $500/yr. (might be $900 like someone else said) nobody cares. You could also barter for food, drinks for you and all your friends, other things... That might be more fun actually.

Tech Mentor

You're thinking too much, but for good reason. I bet that 98% of the world's dj's don't claim any income from gigs. I'd also bet that 98% of the worlds clubs and promoters don't claim what they make or keep official records of money brought in at the door. The only way anyone would really take notice is if your name appeared on a flyer that listed you as being from somewhere else.. even then it's unlikely.

If anything gig for a set bar tab, I bet 99.99% of bars/promoters would go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    I DJ professionally (I have a business licence and report my earnings for tax purposes and all that) but when I do smaller gigs like bars and private parties I take cash under the table. It's really not an issue.

Whereabouts in the Bay are you? I'm always looking for more djs to kick it with.
    I'm over at San Jose. Where you at?

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    You're thinking too much, but for good reason. I bet that 98% of the world's dj's don't claim any income from gigs. I'd also bet that 98% of the worlds clubs and promoters don't claim what they make or keep official records of money brought in at the door. The only way anyone would really take notice is if your name appeared on a flyer that listed you as being from somewhere else.. even then it's unlikely.

If anything gig for a set bar tab, I bet 99.99% of bars/promoters would go for that.
    Yeah I realized that might be the way to go and it's probably not going to be bad since I won't be earning any money anyway. I've decided to just practice and keep hunting down great tunes for that day that I actually get a gig.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123