any blind mac djs here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default any blind mac djs here?

Hi everyone,

I just read the thread started by one of the tech gurus here about tango's endeavor in getting somewhat appropriated with traktor pro whilst being legally blind.

I myself am totally blind and have been questing for the same thing for a year and a half now.

My results aren't as convincing and admirable as tango's as i use a somewhat accessible software for the mac called dj from algoriddim, but it being rather limited in features, i've been growing interest in the more pro apps such as itch or traktor, even ableton if that one can mark some accessibility.

But the question here is whether any of these applications are actualy accessible to mac users.

For one, traktor has absolutely no point of reference or sound cue to tell us where or what its doing, and ableton so far has only "unknown" labels wherever i navigate through the interface.

Has anyone gotten past that biggest hurdle and found a way to play a bit more, scratch, do some simple mixes or cue juggling with any of these?

I own a vci 300 and its normally perfectly mapped for itch but it also is the case for dj, but as i said i've actually exhausted its possibilities, adding control pads for effects and samples but can't go anywhere further apart from honing my scratching skills.

Any help or pointer would be greatly appreciated, and it seems as though the people in this forum are extremely well versed and helpful.
    Thanks in advance for anything i could get my hands on and test its capabilities for blind users.

Best

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Lance Blaise and Tango are the only two that are blind that I know of on here. Lance used traktor when he had site so he was ahead of the game a little. tango recently posted that he had bought traktor so he's well on his way now. Where are you located? Shiftee posted in Tango's thread that he and Dubspot would help him out, but they're in New York.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

Hi fotojojo, are you jojo as in the photography gadget jojo?

I'm in Auckland new zealand, kind of diagonally opposite on 12 meridians or so.

Does tango use a mac for his traktor setup? I just downloaded the last build 1.2.7 demo and its not accessible at all. I read on the site that 2 is coming out in april, hopefully some progress there.

Going to dig into the manual anyway to find some shortcut keys perhaps it might take me somewhere.

Best

I am a photographer, but I don't have near enough gadgets.

Not sure on what Tango's using, but I know Lance is on a macs. I don't think there's any accessibility options with Traktor though. You might go through this thread and see if it helps you any.

http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=Blind
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

wait, lance is blind? as in recently?

Tech Guru

I would suggest consider more physical hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    wait, lance is blind? as in recently?
    He's been legally blind for a couple years I think, but can see some stuff up close.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

oh damn, cause I was going to say, doesnt he ride a kikker bobber?

Tech Student

Yep, that's the thread that initially made me jump in.

I'm glad to know there are other dudes who are trying just as hard to get something out of the software available out there.

I've been heavily involved in trying to inform developers on the accessibility options available in their developer program such as those for voice over on macs.

One such developer was really helpful and has plugged in the accessibility options from a standard API, and he reckoned it actually gave him far more clarity in the way his interfaces work after having tagged all his elements. A way in brief to facilitate cross linking of classes and such.

If you heard of audio spillage's drum spillage drum synth thats the guy.

Anyway, too bad traktor isn't accessible, but there might be some way to control it via keyboard, with the exception of no audio feedback when manipulating an element on the UI. This can be somewhat resolved with some third party software which map out the coordinates on an interface and plugs commands to them, but they rely on visual cues and take a lot of time to create, are volatile as an interface can easily change from build to build, and there's an overhead in processing which makes the experience less than stellar especially for dynamic applications such as digital deejaying.

Thanks anyway for the help, will keep contacting some of the developers to try to get some accessibility in there.

Best

Tech Wizard

I hope this doesn't sound ignorant, because I am actually interested in how someone who cannot see can type. Do you have a braille keyboard? Or voice recognition software?

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I would suggest consider more physical hardware.

As for the traktor pro, I think a very tactile controller would be the best, one you can get used to quite easily.

Like the M-Audio Trigger Finger....it has great pads and faders and knobs. Works for me.

Best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast