Newbie questions...
    Tech Convert

Default Newbie questions...

Hey peeps,

Really happy that i found the forum it has tons of stuff to help me out.

But just got a few quick questions:

I haven't bought anything yet so i was thinking of this setup...

VCI-100
    NI Audio 8
    Nano Pad

My questions are:

1.Traktor can have up to 4 decks so what do i do if i buy the VCI-100 which only has two channel faders and i want to use the other two decks on Traktor?

2.Say i got to a gig and loaded up my setup and decided i wanted to use CDJ's within the mix (not controlling Traktor) but how easy is it to integrate it into the sound-card? I was reading something about Multi core converters could someone explain more?

3.Say i got to the gig and wanted to control the Tracktor decks via CDJ's how would that work?

Sorry for the dumb questions but i'll get there!

Thanks,

G

Woo, you've asked a mouthful.

I'll answer a bit of this, and let people with more traktor expertise answer the rest.

The Audio 8 is more than a sound card, it's an audio router. When you plug your CD decks into the box, it then routes that data through the card and to your PC. If you're using traktor scratch time-coded disks and have traktor pro or traktor scratch then it's just a matter of selecting time code control. If you want the audio from the CD player to go through the internal mixer without controlling anything (you've got a regular disk) just select "audio through" on the deck of choice.

At least that's how it works as far as I understand it....

Mind you I'm a serato user, and have juuust been breaking into the world of teh traktor.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

I am in the exast same boat as you my friend.

I have 2 cd decks and a mixer, on which i do dj-ing off cds mostly.

In the future my next purchase will be Serato Scratch Pro, which includes the Audio 8 soundcard (well interface), this way i don't have to take all my cds with me when i am playing.

I am also going to add a VCI-100 and a Midi controller (keyboard style) later on for mobile dj-ing.

But yea you can run all 4 decks if you want through the audio 8. Go on the Native Instruments forums as well they have discussions on that there as well.

Genre: Progressive House, Deep House, Electro House, Disco House, Vocal Trance, Uplifting Trance, Eurobeat, Eurodance, Italo House, Chill Out, Ambient Trance

Quote Originally Posted by TK1129 View Post
    In the future my next purchase will be Serato Scratch Pro, which includes the Audio 8 soundcard (well interface)
    Lol, you mean traktor?
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TK1129 View Post
    In the future my next purchase will be Serato Scratch Pro, which includes the Audio 8 soundcard (well interface), this way i don't have to take all my cds with me when i am playing.

I am also going to add a VCI-100 and a Midi controller (keyboard style) later on for mobile dj-ing.

But yea you can run all 4 decks if you want through the audio 8. Go on the Native Instruments forums as well they have discussions on that there as well.
    Yeah, you want Traktor Scratch Pro, not Serato Scratch Live. Make sure you got that straight before, y'know, spendin moneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shy-Guy
    My questions are:

1.Traktor can have up to 4 decks so what do i do if i buy the VCI-100 which only has two channel faders and i want to use the other two decks on Traktor?
    What you need to do is read up on the different TSI's and modifiers available (many through this site in the Controller Mapping Forum) and how they work in Traktor Pro. You're going to want to have a basic understanding of MIDI cause even working four decks with one controller is getting into more advanced MIDI functionality (If you know this already don't take offense)

2.Say i got to a gig and loaded up my setup and decided i wanted to use CDJ's within the mix (not controlling Traktor) but how easy is it to integrate it into the sound-card? I was reading something about Multi core converters could someone explain more?
    RSDJMoniker already answered this. I haven't seen it done yet so I can't speak to the usefulness or reliability of it, but it's another option.

3.Say i got to the gig and wanted to control the Tracktor decks via CDJ's how would that work?
    Well, you'd first need Traktor Scratch Pro and the time coded CDs that come with it. Then you'd need to hook up the CD decks and mixer with the multicore cables provided with TSP. This can be a big pain in the as when spinning on CD decks that other people are spinning on, just warning you. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The multi-core cables are what enable you to to plug cdj's into the audio8 (or any other soundcard) and then have that audio route right back into a channel.

Tech Wizard

Yea correction
    its Traktor Scratch Pro (maybe subliminally i want to buy a serato)

Genre: Progressive House, Deep House, Electro House, Disco House, Vocal Trance, Uplifting Trance, Eurobeat, Eurodance, Italo House, Chill Out, Ambient Trance