[OT] Why your mother won't let you be a race car driver

Default [OT] Why your mother won't let you be a race car driver

One word: OUCH!
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

Tech Guru

Teehee. You always do what your parents tell you? :P

Banned

If I did, I wouldn't be making a living DJing and making music and instead I would be working a 9 to 5 in a cubicle planning how to kill myself

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    If I did, I wouldn't be making a living DJing and making music and instead I would be working a 9 to 5 in a cubicle planning how to kill myself
    But then Angelina Jolie would swoop in and save your life from a deadly assassin. Eventually unraveling a most unfortunate storyline. Hint: Its Morgan Freeman.

Banned

Wanted? Enjoyed the comic much more than that sad excuse of a movie

He went off the track, started oversteering, and tapped the breaks…there's only one way that's going to end. I didn't finish the video…hope he's okay. That's a really simple mistake that it takes a lot of knowledge and balls not to make.

Side note, that's one specific crash where traction control systems spell certain doom. If he was driving with active-enough traction control, he might not have screwed up at all. Ask me how I know…

spoilers…mercedes's traction control almost killed me one day…I drove away from it, but the turn and line looked almost identical…I just got lucky and slid out worse instead of rolling.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

When in doubt give it gas.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    He went off the track, started oversteering, and tapped the breaks…there's only one way that's going to end. I didn't finish the video…hope he's okay. That's a really simple mistake that it takes a lot of knowledge and balls not to make.

Driver is okay. As for the car...

For those not familiar with Willow Springs:

Turn 9 is where the crash happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Side note, that's one specific crash where traction control systems spell certain doom. If he was driving with active-enough traction control, he might not have screwed up at all.
    It was a USDM EVO 8, which don't come with the AYC (Active Yaw Control) that the JDM and EURO spec EVOs have. The EVO 8 doesn't have the ACD (Active Center Differential) of the EVO 9. So I don't think that was the problem.

The real problem (as I've been told) was it was his FIRST time on that track in a car he had NEVER driven before.

By the way, he still races:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsOWoYw3Yxg
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

That's an awesome story, subculture. Glad to see he got back on the horse. And, yeah…it looks like it would be really easy to hit that apex too early and brake hard enough to let the back end go if you're trying to avoid plowing straight off the course.

And glad to see the car did exactly what it was supposed to after it all went Pete. That wrecked car is actually gorgeous to me. The mangled remnants of a formerly gorgeous car are both the reason I'm alive today and why it would take a lot for me to buy anything but a BMW…had a similar experience while actually driving under the speed limit on a public road a few years ago. Apparently wet pine straw at the exit of a blind curve can cause an unrecoverable skid. I wound up paying 10 grand to a trauma center to find out nothing was wrong with me but a concussion and some cuts on my arm and neck from crawling out the window (which I don't remember). It was like 2 weeks before I let myself get into a car again…the only thing that did it was looking at the wreckage and figuring out from how the controls and axel broke that I was at least trying to recover the skid correctly.

Sometimes, shit just happens.

But yeah…when in doubt…close throttle slightly, look where you want the car to go, smoothly add power…and if you skid more than 90-degrees past where you want to be, there's not a lot to do but hope you don't hit anything too hard for your car to take the brunt of it.