newbie's Introduction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default newbie's Introduction

Hey Everyone,

Been lingering around the past few weeks reading tons of posts and threads, great info.

I'm more of a bedroom DJ, really started as a joke during a house party and I was toying with VDJ with a mouse of all things

Now its time to get a bit more serious about it. I think I already know the answer, get the VCI-100, I'm thinking go big or go home right now. But for those that have seen/used the Hercules DJ Control Steel feel about it?

Right now I'm thinking Numark DJ/IO, or echo audiofire. Then a DJ Control Steel or VCI-100, the price difference is pretty big, but that would just mean I'd have to save longer for the controller rather than snagging a Control Steel.

Was at Guitar Center yesterday tinkered with the Control RMX, and VCI-300 both feel good, the buttons are definitely stiffer on the RMX though.

Should I wait for the VCI-100? or snag the Steel? Also, I've been seeing a couple of threads about people selling off the VCI-100, any reason why folks are selling them off? Is it because of the VCI-300 is here? Also, anyone selling one in good condition, ebay doesn't have many on sale.

Thanks,

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Welcome to the site, hunger. You seem to have the right idea in all of this.

If you are sure this is the route you want to take then I would save up for the VCI-100 if you think it is what is best for you. Keep in mind they are currently working on the VCI-600 (I believe) so, that could put a damper on your plans (as it has mine ). Keep in mind, also, that buttons, faders and jog wheels losen with use. Hell, the drum pads on my Remote 25SL were really tight for about a week, and now they feel great. Just something to consider.

Also keep in mind you can get the Control Steel and then sell it once you have the money for the VCI-100. I'd say, overall however, to wait and get the VCI-100.

Good luck to you and keep us informed of what you do.
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Good points, re: buttons loosening up, it'll take a month or two to save up for the VCI-100, stupid child-like urges

wonder if the VCI-100 would drop any in price anytime soon

Looking at prices for the audiofire, I may need to go for the Numark DJ/IO though. As a bedroom DJ I gotta limit this somewhere i suppose

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You're not going to need much more than what the Numark I/O has to offer, really. I think you'll be fine with it until you decide to go somewhere new in your work. I think the VCI-100 will drop in price, but it might not be for a while. It's a solid work horse, though.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Dvls... *~VCM-600 and VCI-300/100 ~*
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

honestly, It always confuses me when I see a bedroom DJ drop 5k into becoming a DJ. I remember my first major investment was records, a radioshack mixer, an adapter for my walkman's headphones, and two old technics tables with the knob's for pitch adjust from my mom's storage unit.

All in all I dropped maybe 400 bucks total. Over the years my equipment has improved. But as a result I can show up and play on literally anything and still do well.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

I agree, it's better to restrict yourself as much as possible when beginning.

This way, the basics will be learned harder and better. (Can I hear a stronger and faster?)

Also, if you drop 5k and you don't like to DJ, what than?
    You still dropped 5k on dust collectors.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

more than ever!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

lol, agreed as far as going far and dropping a ton of cash on hardware as a bedroom DJ, but My logic goes like this...

I was considering the Control Steel but for the life of me cannot find one any where in the states locally to buy. Musicians Friend is supposed to carry them but nothing on their site which pushes me to the Console RMX. At a price point of 350, its only another 150 jump to the VCI-100, 150 to me a little to pay if the VCI-100 will last me longer than the RMX.

Either way i'm looking to buy the Numark DJ/IO, unless of course i commit to the RMX which already has one, both feel fine to me, the VCI-100 and RMX that is. Buttons are a little stiff but should wear as dvls noted.

Its a rough decision i've been staring at for weeks... and am still considering but still leaning to the VCI-100 if it'll last me longer than the RMX

Edit: Also i'm not dropping 5k, it'll be about 600 total.
    Last edited by hunger; 01-06-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: forgot remark

hour after hour!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast