4 decks through 2 channel mixer 2 decks each channel?
    Tech Wizard

Default 4 decks through 2 channel mixer 2 decks each channel?

I've always mixed with 4 decks generally using deck A/B as the two main tracks and C/D for samples and mashing two tracks together i want to keep it that way but now i want an external mixer its going to be difficult to afford to use 4 decks...

I could get something like the esi gigaport but it does'nt seem to have a great reputation so im wondering seeming i use the remaining two decks for mashups and samples could i run decks A/C into channel 1 Deck A being the track Deck C being samples and B/D into channel 2

i can't justify an Audio 8 as a beginner so im thinking if this is possible i could use a audio 2 as it seems to have great reviews

can you tell us your current set up?

if youre using a midi controller you can set up a modifier (like a shift key) to make the line faders for decks C and D when you press it
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Fail View Post
    I've always mixed with 4 decks generally using deck A/B as the two main tracks and C/D for samples and mashing two tracks together i want to keep it that way but now i want an external mixer its going to be difficult to afford to use 4 decks...

I could get something like the esi gigaport but it does'nt seem to have a great reputation so im wondering seeming i use the remaining two decks for mashups and samples could i run decks A/C into channel 1 Deck A being the track Deck C being samples and B/D into channel 2

i can't justify an Audio 8 as a beginner so im thinking if this is possible i could use a audio 2 as it seems to have great reviews
    Yeah…you can totally do that, and I second the Audio 2. It's not an amazing sound card, but that thing is impressive for $100.

On a Mac, you can do what you want right now with Soundflower…just select soundflower (16ch) as your sound card and use SoundflowerBed to route 2 pairs of channels to each output on your physical sound card.

When Traktor Pro 2 comes out, you can do it in Traktor without the virtual sound card.

All you have to worry about is levels so that you don't clip your sound card outputs or the mixer's channels.

I'm not sure about virtual sound cards (like soundflower) on PCs because I've never really used them for complicated audio stuff.

If you're going for a 4-channel mixer, you could also just set Traktor to output in mono and use RCA-splitters. A lot of venues down-mix to mono anyway to simplify the PA setup…so in a lot of places, you lose nothing by doing it that way. On that note, there are some really good cheap ones…like the Vestax VMC-004XL…which I'd choose hands-down over basically any mixer that retails for less than a grand…unless you just like Ecler.

I've mixed in mono before too and it works well…you don't loose much by down-mixing dance music to mono…some stereo reverbs or delays and things like Reason's stereo imaging device sound kinda weird…but it's not weird enough to worry about compared to all of the other things most amateur and low-level pro DJs do to screw up.

Just buy 2 audio 2 DJ and a 4 channel mixer. No matter how clever you get with a 2 channel mixer it's still going to be a massive pain in the ass to use with more than 2 decks.

Tech Wizard

Well atm i only have a mapped keyboard im weighing up the best value setup at the moment but roughly what i want is a controller for all my transport for all 4 decks (Like the look of a launchpad) and a drum pad based controller like the MPD26 for playing cue points set a few shifts so i can use it for all decks

Then simply a 4 channel mixer (not sure which one yet) i want to go 4 channel either way because if i can't set up 4 laptop decks on the cheap then i could atleast add a few turntables for home use and mess around with 4 decks 2 virtual 2 vinyl

ultimately the other 2 decks are trivial but it would just be nice because for example i mashed up Swedish house mafia with robin s at the same time as mixing into another song that i had some samples to juggle with i could do this by premixing the tracks and playing them one by one but i thinks its more fun playing it live

The gigaport HD is an option but from what i hear of NI Audio 2/4/8 (and the new ones) they seem to be almost industry standard

I could go out and buy a audio 8 with a £1000 pioneer/A&H mixer with the top end midi controllers but this is going to be a massive waste of time for bedroom practicing let alone the paychecks i would have to give up to pay for it

to start with im looking at spending around £500-£600 on beginner kit im not to keen on any of these vci controllers before someone mentions it

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Just buy 2 audio 2 DJ and a 4 channel mixer. No matter how clever you get with a 2 channel mixer it's still going to be a massive pain in the ass to use with more than 2 decks.
    Im not sure it works that way drivers would be a pain and having two external soundcards i think would just cause alot of headaches

Not at all dude. I'm currently doing it in windows using the standard ASIO drivers. Quick and easy to set up and works perfectly.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    ^^this.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.