***Who really mixes anymore? DJ’ing is becoming a farce!!
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default ***Who really mixes anymore? DJ’ing is becoming a farce!!

I’m a bedroom DJ who loves to beat mix and I have some experience DJ’ing parties, weddings, car shows etc. I love to beat mix house and trance it’s been a hobby of mine for some time.

This past Friday night I went to a friend’s bday party at a fairly large sports bar north of Toronto. There was a DJ there using Serato and two turn tables. Watching him mix all kinds of genres was very impressing; he was going nuts with his mixer and turntables. Even though he didn’t hit the beats on time every time he was very skilled at what he was doing. He didn’t make that much because he loves doing it and doesn’t care much for the money. I have those same feelings.

Saying all that, I put some time aside from all of my home reno’s and decided to go see one of my favorite DJ’s who came to Toronto Saturday night. The night was going great till I stood in an area of the club where I can see the DJ spin with all his equipment. That’s when I felt I was getting ripped off. He wasn’t mixing at all. He had some software running (I think it was Albelton not sure cuz it was hard to see his screen well) and all he did was tweak the mixer a bit and dance. Whenever the transition came in he popped on his headphones for about 15 seconds max (I was counting LOL) then he’d popped them off and start playing with the mixer for 10 seconds then went back and raise his hands and dance till the next transition and the process repeated again.

To me his set was pre-recorded and he was acting like he was mixing. This happened also when I went to see Tiesto a while back. Again where I was standing I could see what he was doing and never saw him once change a CD for hours, but he kept flipping through his CD binder as if he was looking for one.

If I had a choice I’d rather spend my money to see a DJ who actually uses his skills and makes the odd mistake then to listen to one who prerecords his mix and is too lazy to actually mix live.
    That’s like going to a concert and finding out the band is lip syncing. The reason I go to see live bands/DJ’s is to hear it live or I would just stay home and listen to them on a CD.

Sorry but I needed to vent.
    Your thoughts?
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

+1
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

Some DJs cannot beat mix.

Some DJs are just lazy.

I really don't care about a DJs mixing ability when I am going out. Providing I know how to mix, thats all that matters to me.

im a mixing nut, if I hear a dj not beat mix I ignore them and walk away except wedding djs. but if they do mix I will listen but if they start mixing a vocal track and then cut it in the middle of the breakdown or vocals in general I will turn away from that as well.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

DJ fanboys are the worst. When I go out, I go out to party, have fun, get f*cked, dance like a loon. I don't give a f*ck how the DJ is making that happen(unless he has put in a mix cd).
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by groovemixer View Post
    The reason I go to see live bands/DJ’s is to hear it live or I would just stay home and listen to them on a CD.
    You sound like a real lot of fun to go out with! If you're in the London earea lets hook up and go party, first round is on me! You like Jager? I like Jager, lets bomb Jager!
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

who cares really? beatmatching is a skill, not the essence of DJing itself. It doesn't require talent, just mere practice. given enough practice, you can beatmatch any two tracks in 10 seconds.
    It's not at all something that sets you apart from another dj.

There has never ever been a dj booked for his beatmatching skills alone.

It is however a nice skill to have as a dj.

edit: for the record, I assume you're talking about beatmatching and not mixing in general. I do hate the turn off record 1, turn on record 2 "dj's". you are however refering to tiesto, and personal taste aside, he does know how to dj.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    You sound like a real lot of fun to go out with! If you're in the London earea lets hook up and go party, first round is on me! You like Jager? I like Jager, lets bomb Jager!
    Ok im holding you up for it! no not from london but have friends there, ill look you up whenever i go visit. LOL.

I know digital djing is becoming the norm but for crying out loud do something at your sets don't just tweak the eq's all night. Add something to it, use some talent. If not beat mixing then do something besides pretending to do it. LOL

i know these big name dj's can DJ but again would you really spend money to see your favorite band lip sync? I know I wouldn't.
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

You should check out one of my good friends... Sean (Tricky) Moreira..

[ame="http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5577385"]THIS HOUSE | DJ TRICKY MOREIRA | FLOW 93.5 FM DJ Studio MixShows 03/19/10 10:25PM, FLOW 93.5 FM DJ Studio MixShows 03/19/10 10:25PM FLOW935 on USTREAM. Radio[/ame]

When I was living in Toronto, we used to spin together...he's carved out quite a following since "the good 'ol days"

He spins on the radio FM 93.5 (Toronto)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHombre View Post
    +1

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast