Technics 1200 - A Worthy Investment?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Technics 1200 - A Worthy Investment?

I know the consensus on this forum is that DJing is moving toward digital solutions but I'm more looking for info about the value of equipment.

I recently purchased a Midi Controller and I'm having a ton of fun but am not very good (I dont have much time to practice but love the hobby). I know that many view this as a step backwards but ultimately I want to move to a DVS setup as I've always been a fan of turntabalism.

From my rather limited perception of gear, Techincs 1200 seem to be about the only the way to go but theyre disappearing fast. I am wondering how you guys think they'll hold their value. Since theyre no longer in production, do you think they'll become more expensive in the relatively near future (like 6-12 months) or will they become dirt cheap since people are moving on?

Long Story Short I found a pair of SL-1200 M3D's plus a mixer (not sure on the model - probably not great) for $650. The ad says that they need new needles. Is this a good deal?

There's also another add for same tables but with a DM 1002 MKII, "good needles" and slipmats for 800. Is this a better deal?

If in 4 months when I'm ready for them and for some odd reason I decide I don't like them, would I be able to get about what I paid for them back?

1200's are worth it. do it and they hold their resale value just in case you want to sell em
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    1200's are worth it. do it and they hold their resale value just in case you want to sell em
    Thanks for the speedy response. Do you think 650+needles is a better deal than the $800 "complete setup"? Or if neither of those are good, I can wait. In fact its probably preferable as I'm a relatively broke college student . Im just afraid they'll start to disappear and get more expensive relatively soon (is that likely?).

Or since I'm just starting out, would it be better to go with a new direct drive turntable? It just doesnt seem like any of the new ones at the $300 mark compare to the used Technics available for the same price.

I just read a few posts on another forum that said Stanton T80 or TTXusb would be a better choice?
    Last edited by epidemik; 03-08-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Tech Mentor

I'd do it man, it's a pretty "liquid" investment. I had a pair for about 8 months that I paid $500 for then sold them for $600. They definitely hold their value and in the end will be cheaper than buying new TTs

Defo worth it mate, I have been thinking of selling mine to fund more digital gear and buying another pair in the future but the only think putting me off is not being able to buy a new pair as technics has stopped making them

Def worth the purchase! They will never go unused if you keep buying vinyl (even if you do stop using a DVS). Vinyl won't die out in our life time and even if it does second hand vinyl wont!

I was looking at buying new 1200 mk2's a year ago and they were going to set me back £900-£1000, now they will set me back £1600! But i got a good second hand set for £350!

As seen by my example said above, the prices will never drop.

Tech Guru

they will allways go up in value now they dont make them

best way to make money on them second hand is to break them up for parts

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    best way to make money on them second hand is to break them up for parts
    Sacrilege!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I've had my Technics for four years. Those steel babies are heavy and can take a beating on the road. They may cost too much to invest in, but you should research Vestax turntables. If you're going the digital route, serato is worthy investment whether you have turntables or CDJs.

-KOOL KAT

"good needles" is code for crap. If they were good, they'd know what they were.

And the mixer is probably garbage…so that's $325 for each M3D…which is a bit high IMHO, but prices for 1200s of any model are freaking high right now.

If they're in good shape
    • mk2s are worth $250
    • m3ds and mk5s are worth $300
    • m5gs are worth $325-350.

Unfortunately…for the last year or so you can take those prices and double or triple them to get what they'e been selling for…which is BS. IMHO, now is not the time to buy technics unless you get them for cheap and can flip them for a profit.

If I still had my tables, I'd be selling them right now even if I still spun with vinyl…str-150s and ttxes are plenty good tables…and 1200s are not enough better to justify not making money of this f'd up market.

mk2s selling on eBay for $600-$800 is just people getting scared. One of two things is going to happen: prices will come back down or everyone who actually spins will abandon either Technics or vinyl (and DVS) in its entirety. That's my prediction.
    Last edited by mostapha; 03-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast