OT: Who's heard of this guy? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    wearing a mask like this kid is kind of... lame and over done
    ^^^ +100000

There are hordes of people trying too hard to be cool and doing shit like this. Yes he might be having fun and whatnot and good for him but shit performance is shit and if you want some guy mixing with a mask on I know several other way better that this talentless fuck. Hate machine is full blast since,yes, this is what makes electro campy, trashy and tacky all rolled in the same big fat rubber mask of fail.

Want some original audio visual performance? There are loads of artists in Central and South America where EDM is also exploding and have managed to create some ORIGINAL content not related with skinny $2000 in equipment spoiled kid copying several other masked individuals. What's interesting is that those people due to poverty, get a hold of whatever equipment they can find to get the most out of it not mentioning others who also cooperate maybe not a lot with material stuff but with great ideas in how to do stuff differently.

There's this record label, Nuevos Ricos (new rich people)from Mexico, who have several different artist that make use of different performance techniques like characters, little choreographs, and other stuff into the live performances. Maybe you see it and go all WTF but thats precisely the feeling you get when you see something new and fresh rather than more of the same shit that makes you go "masked "dj" #3859". Concepts like exaggeration of national culture and satire of international personalities like Xuxa made into a new pop EDM project is what make their efforts feel fresh.

What is really sad is that sheep tend to go with it and grasp it without any knowledge of how stupid and wasteful it is to have some stupid kid flailing around the stage and call it a dj performance. Maybe if it manages to make some bucks it doesnt matter if its good or bad like that MIA video XXXO and that Will Smith kid doing the Whip My Hair shit. Do you think thats good? Different? Who are the kind of people who consume and pay for that shit? Thank God the internet where I can get what I want rather than be spoon fed by what radio plays and TV tries to sell.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Star Wars kid after a diet and no doz?

Tech Mentor

He's shit and gimmicky but he's catering to people who just want to be entertained. I bet most of us here want to hear a great set more than visual entertainment but of course we're the minority. Have to give the kid credit for using youtube and marketing himself as dumb as it may seem.. I couldn't believe one of his videos had like 2.5 million views.

Tech Mentor

i have to say i may be one of those DJS WHO WEAR MASKS, but hear me out.

First off, this guy is rubbish, i saw the one with the hot chick dancing and just knew his mixing wasnt that good.

But back to me. I go by The Last Rocketeer. I wear the rocketeer helmet for the first few songs of my set then i take it off and put it up either on speaker stand or just the table. I use it to help build a brand, but i don't try to be all serious and mysterious about it.

A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Now THAT is art.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

It kinda works on two levels.

On one hand, people moaning in this thread are basically acting like that.

On the other, people are accusing the kid of this.

I'm so cool.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

yeah i dont get the hate, and a prog house dj friend of mine says the same thing in this thread.

is his mixing bad? i tried to recreate one of his sets when i was first learning, and hes mixing, for sure, not just switching on the drop.
    is the track selection bad? some of those tracks are hard to find / unavailable.
    is his dancing bad? cmon, too many djs dont even dance, just stand there expecting YOU to dance.

hes a younger kid pumping out short mixes, generating a following, and doing it while wearing a mask. i think people secretly hate anyone with masks who isnt daft punk. goes without saying, but it seems ppl hate anyone who is more popular than themselves using music they dont like.

i dunno, i just dont get the hate.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

famous =/= good.

This guy may appeal to middle schoolers but a bit older folk with more experience and a more developed taste will skip the shit out of him. Maybe the guy is super cool to hang out with, maybe he's a dick because of his YouTube views, either way that means shit. I rather have Keyboard Cat or Numa Numa guy if it was about perceived fame.

On his mixing skills... Well, just like the other thread about technology used to be a more creative dj or to cheat the shit the audience into believing the guy is playing and not monkeying behind a DJ setup. At least Daft Punk, Bloody Beetrots, Mr Wonk, all wear a mask and are actually behind the decks rather than jumping like an idiot.

Another thing, how the shit you play when not behind your decks? I believe this guy just take BBC Radio 1 sets by other artists, cut the part where the artist name is said or simply beatmash before that. If he's daring enough to make that overdone performance, it is expected to equally fail by copying the whole thing altogether. The kid reeks of plagiarism in oh so many levels....

Say what you want, these is what forums are for, I challenge him to take his video editing skills to mix and record one set in real time just like Ean and many other artists d. I see the proof, I stand corrected, until then I think this guy is full of shit.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

While I don't really care for his selection, He didn't actually do that bad of job mixing. Yes yes it was hard cutting between the fattest sections of the tracks, but simply put it seems like he did think out where to cut and which to play after the previous.

If he wants to put on a party like that then i say let him, there is always going to be someone that wants it like that, and while we may not want to fulfill that niche, he is and is developing a following.

as for the mask...

I do think he's really only using it to build a brand, but it could also be used as it's intended purpose? maybe he is very socially unable to convey the type of energy he wants to give without it?
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast