X1, Audio 2, and mixer as only laptop-DJ equipment? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I wouldn't like to be without SOME way of changing pitch bending/changing. Jogwheel, pitch fader, whatever, but I like to have something. I was mixing the other night with just my X1 and Audio 2, using the mouse for faders and had a filter mapped to a knob on the X1, the main thing i missed was pitch control.
    coming from denon cd players i was confty with some pitch bend buttons so. The thing with pitch control is it's a bitch with regular 0-127 MIDI so it's rather useless IMO with that type of controllers. a workaround is either using an encoder (with acceleration) or a knob for coarse values and some buttons to fine tune if you ain't got any available faders.

Quote Originally Posted by Poulet Blanc View Post
    Hey Axman,

I don't recommend this set up, in my opinion it's very handy to have jogwheels, because sometimes the song just isn't perfectly in sync with your other song, and you'll need to do a little pitch bending.

I also don't recommend Behringer mixers, one it's channels just gave up on me while I was spinning at a gig.
    the x1 has a pitch bend function (hold down shift + beat left or beat right). jog wheels are wastes of space (unless you scratch)

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    the x1 has a pitch bend function (hold down shift + beat left or beat right). jog wheels are wastes of space (unless you scratch)
    I was just about to say that.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys, a lot of very good info here. Although it only makes the decision harder because I realize I've got more options.
    But who's got experience with the digital jockey series? I wont need 4 deck control (anytime soon) so Traktor LE/Duo should suffice. Is the digital jockey 2 a good piece of kit? I can get one for around $300 less than the S4. Is it worth saving that money, since I need fairly basic functionality? I also think the S4 is somewhat bulky, whereas the digital jockey is smaller and handier.

Thanks!

Why are we telling him to get an A2 and a mixer? o.O
    If your going the A2 route, that and an x1 will suffice
    If you want to use an external mixer youll need either an audio 4 or 8, (A4 for 2 decks, A8 for 4)

My mate uses only an A4 and an x1, and uses the club mixer,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    X1 + Audio2 + Mixer = the way to go.
    It's portable (at clubs you just have to bring your X1/soundcard/laptop)
    It's affordable
    It's relatively modular
    It's intuitive
    It's fun

But if you must have a Jog wheel, I'm selling my DN-SC2000 for pertty cheap over in the buy/sell forum.
    If I could afford it atm I would definitely be going this route. Right now I'm on my audio2 and VCI-100 but i've found myself not using the jogs so much, and would much prefer to use an X1 and an ecler Nuo2 to save space and get a feel for using a mixer more. And of course it's still really modular so if I want more knobs or buttons it's not a complete overhaul!

@Hoodless: Why do you need an A4 to mix externally? A2 has two outputs... or am I mistaken that that is enough (obviously only for two channels but that's what he said no?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Why are we telling him to get an A2 and a mixer? o.O
    If your going the A2 route, that and an x1 will suffice
    If you want to use an external mixer youll need either an audio 4 or 8, (A4 for 2 decks, A8 for 4)
    Talking out your ass mate. There's nothing stopping you from using the Audio 2 DJ with a mixer. The Audio 4 and 8 gives you INPUTS. Something ENTIRELY unrelated to anything to do with mixers (excluding send and return loops). I assure you that a mixer will work 100% with the Audio 2 DJ.

(in fact you could use 2 Audio 2's to use 4 channels in a mixer, a much cheaper option than the Audio 8 if you are not interested in inputs or a real midi interface)

I would advice getting a mixer rather than remapping the x1 to control mixer function due to the fact that even the most basic mixers tend to have vastly superior tactility, layout and cueing controls to midi controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Axman84 View Post
    Thanks guys, a lot of very good info here. Although it only makes the decision harder because I realize I've got more options.
    But who's got experience with the digital jockey series? I wont need 4 deck control (anytime soon) so Traktor LE/Duo should suffice. Is the digital jockey 2 a good piece of kit? I can get one for around $300 less than the S4. Is it worth saving that money, since I need fairly basic functionality? I also think the S4 is somewhat bulky, whereas the digital jockey is smaller and handier.

Thanks!
    Ive got a Digital Jockey2 IE and its a great piece of kit. Just playing house parties you wont notice the sound quality. I use it with an X1 as well and again its a prfect compliment. IMO.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Talking out your ass mate. There's nothing stopping you from using the Audio 2 DJ with a mixer. The Audio 4 and 8 gives you INPUTS. Something ENTIRELY unrelated to anything to do with mixers (excluding send and return loops). I assure you that a mixer will work 100% with the Audio 2 DJ.
    Oh shit sorry >.< Heads up my arse, im still hungover, Yeah you could use the A2's two 1/4 outs into two RCAs, then use the cue on the mixer
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Poulet Blanc View Post
    Hey Axman,

I don't recommend this set up, in my opinion it's very handy to have jogwheels, because sometimes the song just isn't perfectly in sync with your other song, and you'll need to do a little pitch bending.

I also don't recommend Behringer mixers, one it's channels just gave up on me while I was spinning at a gig.
    X1 has pitch bend buttons. I dont know any DJ with a controller with jogwheels who actually uses them. Waste of space in alot of booths tbh. The users suggested setup is pretty small in comparison. A great setup that can really be pushed with the X1's mapping.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast