Vestax Typhoon Controller Issue
    Tech Convert

Default Vestax Typhoon Controller Issue

I recently bought a typhoon (october) and love using at my friends parties and stuff but I have come across an issue. Without warning my controller will freeze. I still have audio I am just unable to use my controller without turning the whole controller off and re-setting it. I am using it in unison with Traktor Pro. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I was thinking maybe it was a USB power issue. I make sure to shut all of my apps. and turn off my internet while playing. It doesn't always work. Thanks to for any advice in advance.

I have the Vestax Spin which is essentially the same controller. I've found that mine does the same exact thing. The workaround that I've found is that when it freezes, if I send any midi signal from anything else, it will unfreeze the controller.

For example, I've got a MidiFighter and I use my iPad with TouchOSC alongside the Spin. If the Spin freezes, I press any TouchOSC or MidiFighter button and the Spin will come right back.

If you don't have any other controllers, you could use Bome's or something to set a key on your keyboard to send a MIDI signal. Say, set the Esc key to be "Send Monitor State" and that should unfreeze the Typhoon.

As far as getting it to not freeze in the first place, the only thing I could suggest is disable all of the LEDs. That's the only way I know to stop it from happening.

Hope that helps.

if your using the typhoon and traktor that came with it... this shouldnt happen.

it used to happen when you mapped the spin (the mac version of the typhoon) to traktor cause of the LED Feedback. (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ht=vestax+spin --- if you check out that thread it might explain some things + you can use that map with the typhoon as it is the same piece of hardware just different colored)

have you tried re importing the TSI file??

more details bout your setup and whatnot might help......
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

damnit twistedpanda! beat me by a few seconds!

Ha HA! :-)

touche sir. this round goes to you.....

quick OT question.. how do you like using the ipad and whatnot with the spin? are you using it basically as a mixer/soundcard and using the ipad and midifighter for basically everything else you wanna do in traktor? (i dont have mine anymore, but i sold it to a friend who has an ipad and whatnot and was gonna tell him bout using it with the spin)

Right now I'm sort've rearranging all of my controls and such. I'm using the Spin as the mixer, set it up so that if I hit the "Automix" button on it, it triggers a modifier that changes it from decks A/B to C/D, so I can control volume/eq/filter for all 4 decks. Also turned the "Mic Pitch" and "Mic On/Off" buttons into the "Drama/Sweep Buildup" from ArmyofMe's Youtube video and have another modifier that allows the jogwheels to control 2 effects.

I've made a bastardized Midi Fighter mapping that is in 4 pages mode where 1 page is basically Deckalized with a button combo to change the Deck Focus and another page is Instant Gratification, but set to the active deck instead of a specific one. I'm planning on mapping another page to the sample decks when TP2 arrives in a couple weeks. The 4th page I'm sort've at a loss about right now. Maybe looping, maybe trying to do some Traktor/Ableton voodoo and have it control iZotope Stutter Edit? Not sure yet.

Before I had the MidiFighter, the iPad did all of my cue point work. TouchOSC is so genius because you can make whatever layouts you want, in several different pages, so I had it doing a couple things. I actually made a page that emulated the MidiFighter completely and used that before I had a real one.

Now, I'm thinking I'll have the iPad control my looping, as that's not something I feel needs to be tactical for me. I'll also have the cue points still available, more for getting around songs quickly than trying to juggle with them.

I'm also going to dedicate a page of TouchOSC solely to the "wobble bass" technique. I'm going to make a couple buttons to set up the right effects and deck focus and set the proper loop, then a couple x-y pads to control the sound.

There's also a page I've got that basically is the top row minus effects. It controls volume, monitor level, mix, tick, quantize, record, tempo, etc. I had a page previously that did all of the effects controls, every single fader/toggle, etc, but I found that I just didn't use it. I'm not there in my skill level yet where I can in the moment think of a complex effect and just go there. Instead, I'm relying more on programming effects ahead of time for very specific things and using those. The beauty of the iPad with TouchOSC is that it's virtually limitless, so I can go all out with that and not have to worry about "using up" knobs and faders.

Basically for now, I think I'm good with the setup I've got. I've got all the gear I need to do good work, I just need to work on my chops now. Down the road, I'll probably take a closer look at the S4 or something, but for now it's a good enough setup for me.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help! Just one more quick question if you guys don't mind. I am fairly green with this whole thing. I have Bomes. How can I configure my keyboard to give off a Midi signal? Don't know if it matters but I have a Macbook. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/6dnky3a

should answer your question throughly :P