Gain & Tunes

Thread: Gain & Tunes

Default Gain & Tunes

Hey everyone,

Read a lot of the articles here and some of the forums and learnt quite a few things about the digital world, I abandoned Djing when I was 18 for 'pussy with a whip'; 11 years later I still remember the tracks that moved my soul and my girl of current just bought me a VCI-300 for christmas. Good stuff.

I'm curious if you guys will limit your mp3s to reduce 'autogain' cpu load or mental effort on gain controls. I've spent sometime in homebrew production since I was a young and I'm aware that if you simply normalize a sound you are boosting the low level noise and if you just straight up limit you are killing dynamics, so I'm curious what opinions are on this subject. I had the thought that an RMS limiter/compressor would be ideal, but I could be 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

My apologies if this has been discussion has been brought already I didn't seem to find anything in the search.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I just use the auto-gain in Traktor. It hasn't ever really led me wrong, and the few things that have been off I can find just up increasing the volume a little, or tweaking the EQ. I do know there are DJs that remaster every track so it's all normalized. I think it's just a question of how much time you have to invest in it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall