why do you have to torrent if you want high quality music - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Guru

I know the advertised speeds are rarely achievable however the actual speeds by law should be comparable to this figure however i do know isp's are in trouble atm for misleading ppl

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    No I mean a gigabit. It is shared with others tho, however cant complain as its free. Never seen over about 100meg per second download or upload speed
    Is the LAN gigabit - i dont think anywhere in the UK has gigabit internet as yet. The reason you are getting really high speeds is cos you are at uni halls?? most uni's connect into JANET which tends to get rediculous speeds usually up into the 80-90mbit/sec.

I used to work in a uni and we had an open, fast network - oh those were the days!!

Tech Guru

yes it is though janet. not all the servers used are on the janet network. it is pritty much directly of a main server line.

This service is limited to certain students. The main reason for this stupidly fast speed is that we need to download hdd images of clients(ie a whole computer and everything on it) to multiple systems. Alot of them are hosted by a lan server for obv reasons. sometimes we will need to whipe a system and start again 3 or 4 times in an hour normally that would be about 40gig of downloaded data, I think due to licencing reasons they cant be hosted on the uni servers.

So it is 1gig but its not that simple, I think there is a throttling system per mac address, I have had 3 machines all downloading at 100gig per second

To get perfect 24 bit you rip the vinyl on to the computer, this is how people usually get the 24 bit, considering vinyl is vinyl, and not a file
    Check out my...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenboarder99
    http://soundcloud.com/glenboarder99
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Then you are golden....like Ean Golden.

haha you guys are funny saying oink is dead. just got renamed guys. they offer a spectral with there 24 bit music most of the time too. but ya it sucks a ton of sites don't offer it. thats why I'm getting into buying vinyl. forget CD's and iTunes they are worthless

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    Funktion1 = Lossless only
    Anything else = mp3 320
    Spoken like a person with very little PA experience..

But yeah, I agree that when you want quality music, you have to buy it on vinyl.
    I like Dodge & Fuski's latest EP. I want it on vinyl. They don't even sell the vinyl.
    Buying the .wavs on Beatport costs me about €14. For that price, I might as well get the 24bit/48khz versions.
    Oh wait, they don't sell those..
    IMO buying music online is a joke.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

I hate having to download music with things being the way they are now. I would much prefer to own a record or CD - even a tape is preferable to an MP3 for me.

I would consider using online download stores more if the following happened: -

1. Prices were lower. Considering your digital files are worth £0, that should be reflected in the price.

2. Sites adopted lossless codecs such as FLAC instead of WAV. Why sell uncompressed files without tags, when you can sell them compressed, with tags, but the exact same quality? And don't charge £1 extra for each lossless file you piss takers!

3. There was more choice. Where's a good store to buy a wide range of hip-hop old and new in high quality? Nowhere, that's where. Where's a good site to get acapellas, instrumentals and other DJ tools? Nowhere legal.

And the ProDub License for digital DJs (aka, the "we will assume you're a thief and make you pay even more money" license) should be scrapped too.

And while I'm ranting, labels should be more DJ-friendly in general. Stop taking down/blocking mixes you gimps! We're promoting artists and songs, which helps turn people on to new things which sells music!

/rant

Tech Convert

As if the Lossless / Lossy debate wasn't enough, people are wanting 24bit... I understand everything about how some people have high-end systems and claim to hear the difference between lossless and lossy + there are other advantages of lossless - but 24bit? Do you seriously need it? Why not promote the use of lossless in the first place (or at least properly encoded lossy files) amongst the masses of DJs out there instead. Sorry but 24bit is the biggest waste of time/space ever, the only argument is that it's the 'proper/raw' file

Quote Originally Posted by dima338
    Why not promote the use of lossless in the first place (or at least properly encoded lossy files) amongst the masses of DJs out there instead.
    I do! I wrote this, for example: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...rates-tagging)

There's nothing worse than a DJ who doesn't know how to record properly, or one that does record properly, then ruins their mix by encoding it in mono at 96 Kbps, lol.

how low would you like the prices to be?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast