Firmware update problem..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Firmware update problem..

Hi Ean and all you good people out there,

After receiving the kit, I have tried to upgrade to 1.3 with a serial-USB cable and couldn't succeed.. I did however come across a section in the forums where Ean mentions a lot of people experiencing probs with serial-USB cables and says serial-serial is a better option. I wonder whether that has something to do with it but basically when I arrive at the port setting choice section of the software just before the write firmware part, I only get com1 and com3 as choices although mine is at com4 and for the life of me I cannot change that either way. Below are both the scripts I got from the software:

com1: (that's when I chose com1)

FDT API initialised: version 4, 02, 00, 008
    Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and
    CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM1'
    Configuration:
    'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
    Opening port 'COM1' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
    Attempting 9600
    Attempting 4800
    Attempting 2400
    Attempting 1200
    Error No 15024: Boot failed

.. and this is what I get when I try com3:

CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM3'
    Configuration:
    Opening port 'COM3' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Attempting 9600
    Error No 15064: Failed to write the data byte(s)
    Attempting 4800
    Received immediate response from device: 0x55
    Attempting 2400
    Attempting 1200

I'm sure I'm following the right procedure but you guys reckon I should try the whole thing with a serial-serial? How will that work as there cannot be any ports to choose from as there is only one at the back of the computer? Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbassman View Post
    Hi Ean and all you good people out there,

section of the software just before the write firmware part, I only get com1 and com3 as choices although mine is at com4 and for the life of me I

<snip>

.. and this is what I get when I try com3:

CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM3'
    Configuration:
    Opening port 'COM3' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Attempting 9600
    Attempting 4800
    Attempting 2400
    Attempting 1200
    Ok, it looks like COM3 is the right one there is one way to be absolutely sure though. Go to the configuration screen of the Firmware application WITHOUT having the USB-to-Serial adapter plugged in.
    Go through the configuration until you reach the page where you can choose the Serial port. Take a look at the available ports then go BACK one screen.
    Plug the USB cable in wait a little bit and go to the serial configuration screen again. One serial connection should have appeared, this is the one to use.

Now for the next step. Apparently you got an answer during your first try with Com3

This happened to me as well. I solved this problem by power-cycling my VCI-100. I turned it off, remove the USB cable waited a little bit, re-attached the USB cable and turned it on again. Then I made sure that NO lights were on on the VCI100.

hope that helps,
    Mike
    You must be out of your mind, if you think the way you dress will serve to help the way you rhyme

Tech Convert

Default Problem persists...

Hi,

Believe me I've tried everything...think I sussed out the com part as when I pulled out the USB during the app run instance and checked what pops up on the drop down menu, found out that it was com 4 but later on I couldn't succeed even with power cycling and ended up with the same 'Error No 15024: Boot failed' message. I have also tried powering the VCI with my MacBook as I've read someone reckons there would be a power problem otherwise but ended up not being able to get the VCI in boot mode as the lights went on....oh,God!!:eek:
    I have also tried with a serial to serial cable and the same thing happens but don't quite know how to choose a port as nothing changes on the drop down menu of the app. I have even tried the delay compensation bit with the ol' USB cable. Is there a different method with the serial to serial? Also is there a way of quitting the app. and starting from scratch as I always had to erase it from the disk and reinstall it to achieve that?
    Apologies for asking a million questions but I must find a way as this has started to become personal between me and the machine and I cannot just give up...
    Mike? Ean? Anybody?

Ok,

First of all, if you use a Serial-to-Serial cable the port to use is most certainly COM1.
    As for the configuration part. I do not have the application in front of my right now. If you want to reconfigure it you go to the file menu AFAIR and there you have one menu entry to change the configuration this brings you right back in the configuration screen.

As for getting the VCI in boot-mode:

Completely turn-off the VCI-100 and unplug the USB cable (power-cable). Make sure that the firmware update tool is plugged in correctly and connect the serial cable. Then turn on the VCI-100. If the lights of the platter are still lightning up the unit is not in boot-mode and you do not even have to try the programming step since it won't work.

You could one more thing. Try turning on the VCI WITHOUT having the the flash tool installed. Then turn it off connect it and turn it on again.
    You must be out of your mind, if you think the way you dress will serve to help the way you rhyme

The best bet is to use a serial cable set to com port one- this always works without any problems. Then if you are using a serial to USB then you must figure out what the right com port is-

there is a way within windows to define which virtual comport your USB to serial device is on- so you may want to use that method to set it to number 3. Then use that in the flash program as its the one available port.

Because no one answeres my post ( http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...p?t=846&page=6)
    I will post some questions here:

- how should the config of the cable look like? possibly someone could post a picture of the wiring.
    - at which step should the vci go into boot mode?
    - at the time when the firmware tool is plugged in/on?
    - at the time when the computer is connected to the vci (via serial)?
    - is there a difference between american and european vci (I use european)?
    - will the upgrade on a european also work?
    - the software tool in the video is different from mine. the one I use (v4.x) has one window more

Please help me to find a solution! (hope you understand my english)

DONE ... finally I got the update 1.3 running.

What did I do?
    • usb-2-serial
    • usb-power

both cables have to be connected to one computer (otherwise the vci will immediately boot into user mode)
    if you connect usb-power and usb-2-serial and the lights go up, the firmware-kit or the cable don't work.

com-port config:
    bits per second: 38400
    flowcontrol: hardware

after I made these changes I plugged the usb-cable off and when I put it in again the com port changed automatically from 3 to 6 .. why? absolutely NO idea

software-tool:
    as described in eans howto

This is the output of the sw-tool:
    Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
    Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM6'
    Configuration:
    Opening port 'COM6' ...
    Loading Comms DLL
    Loaded Comms DLL
    Attempting 9600
    Received immediate response from device: 0xAA
    Using micro-Kernel : 'C:\Programme\Renesas\FDT4.02\kernels\ProtB\3052\R enesas\1_2_00\uGen3052.cde'
    Downloading and verifying micro kernel...
    Device is erasing...
    Erase Timeout value set to 21 seconds
    Erase Successful
    micro-Kernel download successful
    Sending inquiry for getting line size
    Buffer size has been set to default (128 bytes)
    Sending selection of device command
    Selection of Device - Device selected, code 0302
    Sending selection of clock mode
    Sending selection of clock mode
    Selection of Clock Mode - Clock selected, code 0
    Changing baud rate to 38400 bps
    Set baud rate value = 38400
    Downloading main kernel 'C:\Programme\Renesas\FDT4.02\kernels\ProtB\3052\R enesas\1_2_00\Genm3052.cde'
    Main kernel download complete...
    Connection complete
    Processing file :"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Desktop\vci-100se_13_firmware\VCI-100SE_1.3_Firmware.mot"
    Operation on User Flash
    Downloaded the operation module
    Writing image to device... [0x00000000 - 0x000000FF]
    Writing image to device... [0x00000200 - 0x0000647F]
    Writing image to device... [0x00008000 - 0x0000807F]
    Writing image to device... [0x00009000 - 0x0000907F]
    Writing image to device... [0x00009080 - 0x0000917F]
    Writing image to device... [0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF]
    Data programmed at the following positions:
    0x00000000 - 0x000000FF Length : 0x00000100
    0x00000200 - 0x0000647F Length : 0x00006280
    0x00008000 - 0x0000807F Length : 0x00000080
    0x00009000 - 0x0000907F Length : 0x00000080
    0x00009080 - 0x0000917F Length : 0x00000100
    0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF Length : 0x00000980
    27.75 K programmed in 103 seconds
    Image successfully written to device

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Thanks for posting that thingsintime!
    Glad to hear you suceeded in the end

Tech Wizard

Just to add to this thread in case someone else is getting the error "Error No 15064: Failed to write the data byte(s)" - since I got that error and this is the thread that came up in the search results...

I was trying to do the firmware upgrade on my computer using a serial to serial cable when I got that error. I tried connecting the cable to both COM ports to no avail. When I went into the device manager to look at the available ports, I noticed that both ports, COM 3 and COM 4 were assigned to bluetooth, and not the actual onboard connections. What this meant, is that at some point I had disabled my COM ports in the BIOS to save IRQs in Windows. I restarted my computer and went into the BIOS configuration (usually done by hitting the delete key during boot up) and enabled both of the onboard COM ports. I restarted into Windows and saw that I now had the correct ports, COM1 and COM2. I followed the rest of the instructions from there and it worked like a charm!

I hope this helps anyone else that gets this error!

Dave

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    The best bet is to use a serial cable set to com port one- this always works without any problems
    When I try to do the update, using a serial-serial cable and com port 1, the software says there are errors opening and closing the port. When I use com port 2 the software gets to the point where it's testing the different baud rates when it fails, because of no response.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast