Tension before a set
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Tension before a set

Yo yo.

Who hasn't actually got a bit tense and wound up right before a big set at a new venue?

I have found myself so uptight once I could have stuffed an egg up my ass and made an omelette with it.

So I tried to give my best tips on chillin' before a set. After all, your state of mind is really essential to you performing well on a big night. Being relaxed can make a massive difference to your performance.

Anyway, here you go. Any feedback's welcome:

http://www.challands.com/how-to-DJ-properly.html

nice site! although I do love being nervous, and getting that tense feeling, meens something big is about to happen, it feels like its Theoden-king-stands-alone... -Not alone..-ROHIRRIM-big, even if it isnt, its awesommmme.

Yeah....eat well and sleep well the day before. Usually nap in the afternoon before a gig too.

My gigs are usually out on a venue that has nothing on it. So porta loos are used.
    NASTY!

So I make sure I go before the party....and DO NOT eat anything there besides what i take myself.

Don't drink to relax....and wait till you done...to have hedonistic fun!

I usually wait till about track 3 before I light my spliff too.

I do my homework too, so I have nothing left to do but take it easy before a big gig.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I don't listen to the tunes I want to play for about 2 weeks, so as soon as I get up I fall back in love with them! Happy DJ = More energetic

Also I am a qualified sky diver (so far only have my A license) so nerves aren't too much of an issue for me :P
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

Tech Wizard

That's a good tip!

The main reason I might not be happy with a set is because I'm bored of my tunes.

So like you say, by not listening to them for a bit, I can bring them out again and be happy to play them.

A more positive DJ plays a better set every time.

every week, and every time I do a set.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

If you don't feel keyed up you obviously don't give enough of a shit ... and if you don't give a shit, why are you bothering to play the gig?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    If you don't feel keyed up you obviously don't give enough of a shit ... and if you don't give a shit, why are you bothering to play the gig?
    Yes you can give a shit and still not feel keyed up. Getting wired, shy, tense..doesn't mean you don't care, it means you do care.

Quite the contrary old fellow.

I found myself doing a gig with only 2 hours notice last saturday. It was only my second gig too. As soon as I found out, I immediately got the shits.

Personally I find the best way to deal with it is either not to think about it. Or if you cant stop thinking about it, reassure yourself. If you have the passion, you will have put in the hard work already, you should be confident in your own skills as a dj. If not, go practice some more, and if youre caught out like I was, fall back on a previous mix playlist thats appropriate and work it from there.

As far as worrying about the venue, sound system or whatever. Theres only so much you can do. Be prepared, take spares, know your kit and have a plan. Also, always, always start your kit with every volume knob you have at 0.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

I bet you pappered your gusset

I quite like finding out at the last minute. It's amazing how much you can do if you have that kind of pressure. You can surprise yourself by focusing really hard.

It's kind of like shiting it with fear and getting so excited you could cream your pants both at the same time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast