Digital Dj Tips Article Expresses That We're Moving Past Mixes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Digital Dj Tips Article Expresses That We're Moving Past Mixes

Before I go on a tangent, I'll post the link:

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/02...-not-mixtapes/

Now, that being read, I'd like to know what everyone thinks about what he has to say.

Is this something that is on everyone's mind? or do many of you disagree? Why? Could this be something that all digital dj's need to do to become more relevant to the club scene, or music scene in general?

Considering we have so many resources at out fingertips, I feel like it is a very important point to consider when faced with club owners and promoters that feel that using midi and a computer isn't what they want. It seems like it is a distinguishing trait, that we can create completely new music while djing and using full tracks produced by other artists?

So I'd like to hear some thoughts regarding the fact that "mixtapes" are becoming obsolete and what you guys (and girls) do in the face of this new obstacle to overcome?

Also, if you are heavily mashing and creating while in the club, what type of tips do you have for the forum? Things like resource websites, general guidlines, how you work with key and song structure.
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

soo true about how promoters dont even listen to mixes anymore.

I cant tell you how many times ive approached someone ive gotten "so do you have a facebook page?" no? oh ok no thanks.

goddamn facebook!

and i agree. i know id much rather listen to a 5 min mashup than a 45 min mixtape if i was a promoter... (as a dj, i appreciate the long transitions and mixes) thus making it easier as a DJ/Producer to get noticed by a promoter/club/label....but what it really is going to boil down to (for most of us in the pursuit of gigs) in the long run is song selection and reading a crowd. if you can still do that you will be successful as a dj.
    Last edited by Nesquigs; 03-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I'm sure every DJ got into this wonderful business because of the music. In the end, all that matters is the music, so what is the difference if you are using midi, turntables, cdjs or 2 cassette decks taped together with volume controls, if the music coming out gets you up and dancing? Technology changes, and if DJs and promoters don't embrace the change, you will end up with outdated techniques. Look at what Ian Golden is doing with those midifighters. Things you couldn't dream of doing with turntabes 15 years ago. Its about the music, and getting the club dancing.

While I kinda feel like this article is encouraging you to 'hop on the bandwagon of mash-ups 'cause it's the cool new thing,' I think they offer good advice on how to play the game to get booked.

I don't necessarily think though that mixes are becoming obsolete, at least not the people that actually enjoy listening to DJ's outside of clubs. I still enjoy downloading a sweet mix by a non-producing DJ because I think there's a lot that can still go on other than just beatmatching and transitioning... as for promoters though, I'll believe that they don't really give it a listen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    I'm sure every DJ got into this wonderful business because of the music. In the end, all that matters is the music, so what is the difference if you are using midi, turntables, cdjs or 2 cassette decks taped together with volume controls, if the music coming out gets you up and dancing? Technology changes, and if DJs and promoters don't embrace the change, you will end up with outdated techniques. Look at what Ian Golden is doing with those midifighters. Things you couldn't dream of doing with turntabes 15 years ago. Its about the music, and getting the club dancing.
    I would love to believe that promoters and club owners thought the very same. But unfortunately many studies have been published proving the fact that the vast majority of people would rather hold onto what they have, rather than take a chance on something new, even if it wasn't good for them. This ideology is directly related to how venues would rather see their acts using the traditional medium because it is what they believe is the only way for them to make the money that they do (other than ridiculously overpriced drinks of course).

We are a part of a very interesting culture, many view "digital djing" a counterculture to what old school is all about, and in many ways it is. With so many resources available to us, and the specific modality that we can piece together something very professional, is very different from the rudimentary and almost basic, slow rise to professionalism that was largely part of just "two tables and a mixer".

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is just about the music..... for us. whether old school or new, it needs to be about filling the dance floor with happy people dancing in a sonic experience that can allow people to transcend the mediocrity of every day life.

BUT, earning our true stripes is a lot harder than what it used to be specifically from the very tech that we love. My point is, Djing isn't completely going to cut it if we are completely in the digital realm. Ean earned a ton of recognition by bringing our new found voices to the masses via DJTT, and furthered his accolades by being at the forefront of anything that could be used as a new form of expression, whether it be adding arcade buttons and a foot pedal, or designing an entirely new piece of kit that helps bridge the gap between dj and live performance.

What i believe that means for us, is that we've been perceiving blending and song selection as what they always have been, rather than something that is growing and evolving. Just like our way of utilizing tech to convey the message that we know about song selection and blending, we need to be able to take them to the next level, to show promoters and club owners, in such a way that they can't readily compare us to what they are used to. I do think it is going to take a certain degree of eloquence to really facilitate this change in perspective for them, but i think mash-ups are a very good way to go about this. The whole idea that a "live performance" is different from "djing" is something that could be embellished a little more, even though we could be spending most of our performance spinning records anyways.
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

Mash-Up's are like ass-clinkers- nasty & smelly
    SC | MC

Doesn't this really depend on what sort of music you play? I mean, Techno mashups? Really?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think Phil has some very good points in that article. It's been said on here many many times before that to really make it in this scene you have to produce.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think Phil has some very good points in that article. It's been said on here many many times before that to really make it in this scene you have to produce & have a myspace/facebook/twitter following.
    fixed
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Great one Jes!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast