Quartz Composer doodling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quartz Composer doodling

Hey guys,

Since I'm sick at home right now I had some time on my hand to wrap my head around this whole Quartz Composer thing.
    I saw Joachim Garraud explain it in his first Invasion-Video, but I never got around to looking how to really build this.
    Anyway- what I wanted to build was an interactive visualizer to playback to my live-sound. I accomplished that, but after understanding what Quartz is capable of I kind of what to go even further. I'm thinking about using videos and stuff, but that's a bit of a future project right now. What I've done right now is a small patch with some basic graphical equalization.
    I'll see what I can learn in the next couple of days, perhaps I'll get an improved 1.1 version up then.
    From what I can say now it should work the following way- open the file with quicktime, set input-device to the line-in/mic-in that your tunes are coming from and drag the visualizer onto your screen, maximize it... done.
    I mix stuff on my things...

Tech Guru

will this patch work for windows. does any1 know if there is software like quartz composer for windows

To be honest- I haven't thought about that, but you could try opening it using Quicktime. Thats the way it should work.

Tech Guru

could u post a video of it in action. It wont open there are a few similur programs on windows

There you go- hope this gives at least an impression of what it does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFhKI8U1q0A

Tech Guru

are u using traktor pro? I reall really want NI to come out with a video plugin. If serato and vdj can do it im sure they can.

I want 4 channel mixing with video plz NI. yes I know you can do it with serato but I aint got 2grand for a mixer or sound card that isnt 900quid

Yes, I'm using Traktor and generating my the visuals dynamically on a second PC.
    I was specifically looking for a on-the-fly solution to generate visuals for my mix that don't require a VJ or switching to a complete solutions and rebuilding all my songs with videos.

Default great job!

im at work and i thought id try it. great job man! here is a pic of it running on my MBP. It used QuickTime7, and i needed to turn the input to the internal microphone in system prefs. it heard the booth monitors while im djing on cdjs. the balloons-lines thing is sweet. i was playing Martin Solveig at the time.

Yeah, I'm experimenting with it right now:
    Revised instructions for best result is-
    - Download xCode 3.0
    - Open Composition
    - Click on Viewer and toggle that window to Fullscreen
    - To change the input, simply go to your Audio-Preferences and declare your Line-In the standard-systemwide input
    - That worked for me (to hear Line-In you normally need to open Quicktime, select a "New Audio Recording" and pull the Audio to full)

I'm uploading a screen-grab I just did right now, it doesn't contain mixing, just some playing around with filters and levels, so that you can see the way the Visualizer behaves.

EDIT: Screengrab is up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNh8wh1BKk0
    Last edited by Tigris; 03-16-2011 at 04:31 AM.

I'll play with this when I get home, thanks for sharing!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast