Pitch Bending with Traktor Pro S4 / Kontrol S4?

Default Pitch Bending with Traktor Pro S4 / Kontrol S4?

What's up guys, i'm Chad and i'm new to this forum. I'm 19, I just started DJing again after a 2 year hiatus.

I have a traktor kontrol s4 with traktor pro s4 on my macbook pro13". After numerous google searches I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question. I'm hoping you guys can help.

Is there a way to pitch-bend a track on traktor pro s4, WITHOUT touching the jogwheels? I know you can slide the outer part of the jogwheel around in circles to change the pitch, but it also changes the tempo; which I don't want to do because it will throw off the other beatmatched running track.

I'm hoping there's something I can do in the effects panel that can make it happen. I used to bend the pitch of songs before a drop when i was mixing 2 years ago, and it sounded great.

Thanks!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
    What's up guys, i'm Chad and i'm new to this forum. I'm 19, I just started DJing again after a 2 year hiatus.

I have a traktor kontrol s4 with traktor pro s4 on my macbook pro13". After numerous google searches I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question. I'm hoping you guys can help.

Is there a way to pitch-bend a track on traktor pro s4, WITHOUT touching the jogwheels? I know you can slide the outer part of the jogwheel around in circles to change the pitch, but it also changes the tempo; which I don't want to do because it will throw off the other beatmatched running track.

I'm hoping there's something I can do in the effects panel that can make it happen. I used to bend the pitch of songs before a drop when i was mixing 2 years ago, and it sounded great.

Thanks!
    Well, pitch bending involves temporarily shifting the tempo, if keylock is on then only the tempo is affected. If you only want to alter the KEY of a song you need to map the Key knob to the S4 since it's not set natively. You can't find anything on Google because you are using the wrong words.

You could do this by 'riding the fader'.

It's a technique with which you temporarely switch up or switch down the tempo to speed up or slow down the BPM, to mimic the bending done on the platter.

I'm not that keen on using it, because it's a technique I haven't perfected yet.

The other thing is, mapping the 'tempo bending' to a button. This is what I used to have mapped on my MIDIfighter, in my old setup.
    Just make sure you have some spare buttons on a seperate device and map 'tempo bending' to them.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    You could do this by 'riding the fader'.

It's a technique with which you temporarely switch up or switch down the tempo to speed up or slow down the BPM, to mimic the bending done on the platter.

I'm not that keen on using it, because it's a technique I haven't perfected yet.

The other thing is, mapping the 'tempo bending' to a button. This is what I used to have mapped on my MIDIfighter, in my old setup.
    Just make sure you have some spare buttons on a seperate device and map 'tempo bending' to them.
    But that would still get his beatmatching off (unless both tracks are synced)

When done correctly, it will end up perfectly.
    There are some tutorials on this on youtube.

(The buttons is a better option though)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Well, pitch bending involves temporarily shifting the tempo, if keylock is on then only the tempo is affected. If you only want to alter the KEY of a song you need to map the Key knob to the S4 since it's not set natively. You can't find anything on Google because you are using the wrong words.
    Do you have a tutorial on how to do this? That's probably exactly why I can't find anything on google. haha

bump...