Which laptop do you use / recommend? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

does anyone know if an Eee PC or similar can run traktor? then can just hook it up to a bigger monitor if i need to.
    specs here:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_...7X/version.asp
    Current Top 3:
    1. Loco Dice - Seeing through Shadows
    2. Light Year - Sex Education
    3. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (DJ Pierre Remix)

Eee PC should be able to run Traktor, though that wouldnt be giving you much room at all to grow. Say if you wanted to also route your audio to Ableton you would need more processing power and more ram.

Tech Mentor

and aldo make sure that that pc have a cd drive....many small models like that they dont come wit cd drive

Just adding my two cents, i have a toshiba satellite a205, it is intel dual core, with only 1gb (9will upgrade soon), I am running traktor le, and have used it for 4 gigs with no problems at all, running traktor all night (7 hours) each time, I was very impressed, especially with all of the concerns with vista ( i did get rid of the garbage software and optimize). I also have a dell tower with traktor 3.3 which also performs well. My toshiba purchase was a quick fix to not transport my tower to each gig, but a mac is my goal, I have been blessed with the opportunity to use my friends mac and i was really impressed, however I can't see the difference from what I know regarding my satellite's tested performance, am I a hype victim?
    Traktor 3.3:Toshiba Satellite:VCI 100 1.3: Audio Kontrol 1: Soca,Dancehall,Hip Hop,R&B,Trance,House.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by newvintage View Post
    Just adding my two cents, i have a toshiba satellite a205, it is intel dual core, with only 1gb (9will upgrade soon), I am running traktor le, and have used it for 4 gigs with no problems at all, running traktor all night (7 hours) each time, I was very impressed, especially with all of the concerns with vista ( i did get rid of the garbage software and optimize). I also have a dell tower with traktor 3.3 which also performs well. My toshiba purchase was a quick fix to not transport my tower to each gig, but a mac is my goal, I have been blessed with the opportunity to use my friends mac and i was really impressed, however I can't see the difference from what I know regarding my satellite's tested performance, am I a hype victim?
    You're a total victim for the hype, I'm not being sarcastic.

I mean, you've had NO problems with your Windows laptop, why the hell would you want to switch? If anything I'd rather run it on XP, but since you're fine on Vista I'd even leave the OS alone for now too.

I am starting to believe this myself, maybe I can re-allocate funds to building my PA system. it's kind of enlightening to read your own thoughts, even though I am starting to question my own logic.
    Traktor 3.3:Toshiba Satellite:VCI 100 1.3: Audio Kontrol 1: Soca,Dancehall,Hip Hop,R&B,Trance,House.

Completely no use for using mac man. Why would you..

Nowadays, hardwarematically, a mac is just the same as another PC. The built in soundcard isn't even that great. The only thing you'd buy a mac for is the operating system. Some people say it is more stable than XP. But what do they compare it to? If you shut off all unneeded background processes on XP and only run traktor, i am pretty sure it'll be just as stable.

It's just the old idea people got about macs since the nineties, when microsoft was doing crap stuff and apple came with some pretty neet ideas.

Tech Mentor

It's not just that, it's also people who don't know what they're talking about spreading the hype that Macs are the way to go. Especially when you see big name DJs using them live.

Quote Originally Posted by barf View Post
    Completely no use for using mac man. Why would you..

Nowadays, hardwarematically, a mac is just the same as another PC. The built in soundcard isn't even that great.
    Alot of PC's and Macs nowdays are using the exact same sound chipsets, so there's no difference in audio quality at all. For example, i have the same chipset that you would find in a macbook pro.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barf View Post
    The only thing you'd buy a mac for is the operating system.
    You are pretty right with that statement, but thats not a negative or minor thing, the OS is what makes macs so freakn good. I mean the hardware is also really nicely built with heaps of nice features etc.

If you use MacOS much you will understand why it is so good, and the fact that MacOS is my experience has been more stable/reliable then any of my PCs (or which I have had many), but not by heaps. The main thing ive found is that issues with MacOS have been easy to solve, on my windows comps has often ment a reinstall of windows. Virus's also dont really cause a problem for Macs, where as I've had a few of my windows installs fuck over / get slow / die cos of spyware/virii.

For me the workflow on a mac because of some of the features is far better (spaces, hotcorners, expose, timemachine, screencap, etc etc), but thats mostly as I use it as a graphic designer where that functionality is actually quite important. Its helpful for music performance but not as vital.

In terms of hardware mac has a few nice things.
    First they are way more pretty then any PC laptop... imo
    Second the touch pad is fucking brilliant, especially for ableton the multi-touch functionality are awesome! I waaaay prefer it over a mouse.

.. thats about it actually, other then that its the same as a PC except faaar more expensive (macbook pro anyway), macbooks arent too bad, worth it imo if you have the $ to spend.

Most people dont need a mac for music stuff, its purely nice to have, and personally for my main comp I wouldnt have anything else as its is just sooooo much nicer to use then windows imo. In saying that I will always have a PC machine as well.
    Last edited by midian; 09-02-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast