I love the feel of a button... what does the future hold? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    meh, this touch control thing is overhyped atm. e.g., a mixer section on an ipad? with no tactile feedback at all? idk, i can only say i wouldn't want a touch screen in the center of my DJ setup.
    Good thing you didn't bother reading the thread!

Simple answer: Eventually it will be touchscreen and after that gestures and after that maybe mind controlling music production on the fly :eek:, after all we made it to the moon right?

Just like old Dj's used vinyl and beatmatched, we use controllers and a sync button. What is happening today is that the jogwheel is becoming extinct. I have an S4 and I rarely use it. There's this article Will You Be DJing With Jogwheels In 5 Years? Ritchie Hawtin Won’t… that poses the same question and explains how jogwheels take too much real state on the mixing surface and how they were moved to the back of the Traktor S4.

Classic DJ's will need the tactile feel but younger DJ's will grow up in this touchscreen environment and will not miss knobs since they never used them in the first place. They will have old farts like us telling them how touchscreen is a fucking joke and that they are not real DJ's just the way we get barked at from old Vinyl/CDJ DJ's for using MIDI controllers. The detail here is that technology is changing too fast and we have all these new technologies being thrown at us at the same time.

Also let's take into consideration that touchscreen has proven to be a success and inevitably they will become cheaper and larger the way an HDTV was $2k for a 42" couple years ago and now you can have them for $400. Just like the MP3 killed the Vinyl and the CD, touchscreen will kill the physical knob and the fader. Take this into consideration: Just like the S4 is a physical device that came in 2010, compared to a VCI-100 that came in 2007(?), the S4 has more features than the VCI obviously, then I can assure you that by 2013 (even sooner because of company competition) there will be an even better and more featured controller that will make the S4 look outdated. Maybe by then, bigger touchscreen devices will be available and new controllers will inevitably be created for such devices allowing for:

1) cheaper production - just an application, no physical media to be manufactured
    2) approachability - All you need is the touchscreen surface and pretty much you will not need anything else. No space for one-trick-pony devices like the S4, CDJ's etc. You would use the device to watch movies, do your taxes and DJ. This will appeal to an even bigger audience in a future where space will be less and less (not mentioning more expensive) thanks to a growing global population. See Ipad.
    3) users will get the new interface/GUI faster. Just a download and you will get the new Traktor Touch or whatever.

Conclusion: Touchscreen is the future. Apple changed the game. Thats why every other company is following and releasing a touchscreen device. They are still small but they will get bigger. Just like Microsoft Surface, they will become the future coffee table that just happens to have an app to make it a 8 channel setup with FX, Ableton-like production capabilities that create lossless better-than-vinyl sounding tracks of 500MB each since also storage tech will also evolve the way 6 years ago a PC had 40GB of space and you thought you would never fill that and now 500GB is barely enough.

What is going to be great is the creativeness of how people will do things. When you have a controller and you sell it, it dont cease to exist, it gets handed to someone who will maybe use it better than you in a more creative way. Maybe that device will again be resold to someone that doesnt have the money but have the time to make it into a greater thing. That person may torrent all the necessary apps and will connect a bunch of old MIDI equipment to create the next big thing. Just check out Joachim Garraud who uses an old Roland keytar thru MIDI.

My crystal ball now is exhausted and needs moon beams to recharge.
    Last edited by Quenepas; 03-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

haha, thanks nemonic. I'm not looking for what people don't like about touch screens, that's already been covered in threads solely about things like touchOSC, more just what else could replace what we currently use. mind controlled DJing?! I dno!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    haha, thanks nemonic. I'm not looking for what people don't like about touch screens, that's already been covered in threads solely about things like touchOSC, more just what else could replace what we currently use. mind controlled DJing?! I dno!
    This was made by some guy
    http://www.geekologie.com/2011/03/no...controlled.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04T5Zq6KPyY

DARPA has worked on this for several years with fucking bright scientists and millions of dollars. Even the internet was created by DARPA and now we use it just like that!:eek:

Ok now Ill shut up since big brother is watching and the Illuminati and the aliens and the UFO's!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

*runs and hides under the bed wearing a tin foil hat*
    Erase. Stop. Start.

that's quite disturbing...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Oh nice, it gets worse. How about giant mind controlled robotic flying beetles?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i-_1QdY2Zc[/youtube]

Tech Mentor

I just dont see touchscreens being around to much longer. I mean they been around since the 80s its really old technology and your limited by the screen space! In this video he shows how he made any surface around you the screen, any object the controller.
    We had an article about being a good dancer and Djing, this will be taken to new heights with this technology and the interface will be the fucking Dancefloor!
    Talk about interacting with the crowd! If your arms get tired use your effing legs and all other unnamed appendages. Physical controls will be just that
    Get Physical!
    Parnav Mistry The sixth sense
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKmG...eature=related

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    *runs and hides under the bed wearing a tin foil hat*
    Armadillos have better blocking properties

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Good thing you didn't bother reading the thread!
    WTF, dude? of course i read the thread before posting. my post was on-topic. it was suggested ITT that touch screens are the future. i argued against that by noting that touch screens totally lack tactile feedback which makes it undesirable to have them at the heart of a DJ setup. touch screens tend to work better when used for consumption as opposed to production.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 03-18-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Tech Guru

The problem with "air interfaces" is that there's no definition of controls. You know where to put your hand to actuate a function. And because of that, you can easily do things like actuate more than one control at the same time. Minority Report style interfaces are fine when you are only manipulating one thing at a time, but simultaneously manipulating multiple functions is a mess. Playing a piano is as good an example as any - it just doesn't work with air gesturing.

There are also problems with things like reference. If you have your virtual air DJ setup, does it move with you? Does the spacial relationship between the virtual devices remain the same, or can they change? What if you're in a small booth? Where's your point of reference?

Again, all of these different interfaces will coexist and will be used where they're most appropriate and effective. There won't be a single interface everyone uses, because there isn't a single interface that's good at everything.

WTF, dude?
    Calm down, Francis. I'm just referring to the fact that most of the posts in the thread acknowledge the fact that multiple interfaces are the way forward. But let me ask you some questions. First of all, if a DJ setup in the future were touch based, why would it be an iPad - or like an iPad? The iPad isn't a DJ product. What if Pioneer or Denon made a DJ centric touchscreen?

Also, why do you assume that future touchscreens won't have tactile feedback? Haptic technologies are already being developed, and it's highly likely that future touch displays will have haptic feedback. Of course, I don't imagine this will get us big twisty knobs popping up from nowhere on a touchscreen, but it would certainly be possible to feel distinct faders, what their values were, the location and value of EQs, etc.

Of course, if you to combine this kind of technology with something like Vistonics, you combine touch and tactile control to great effect.

Vistonics
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrI7KcM0T0I[/youtube]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast