Help!! Pioneer ddj-t1 or the S1 or the S4
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Help!! Pioneer ddj-t1 or the S1 or the S4

Right heres my situation. at the minute i have 2 x pioneer cdj1000 mk3 a djm 600 black with a full stand and a kam amp and speaker system (which i am selling for £1700 if anyone is interested) but i am having a second child so i dont have a spare room (MY MAN ROOM) anymore so i am looking to down size my equipment. Most the promos i get through now are e-mailed mp3's so i am looking at midi controllers so i need peoples opinions. I am leaning towards the pioneer ddj-s1 which is £1099 it comes with serato itch, i like the look of the pioneer ddj-t1 which comes with traktor has 4 channels and is £300 cheaper at £799. there has to be a reason why the s1 is 300 pound more and it has only 2 channels compared to the t1's 4 then theres the wild card of the traktor s4 controller which if you get it at the minute they are giving free upgrade in the software to traktor pro 2, which comes out soon but i have seen a few people on here not happy with the S4

which one should i buy

Please read and let me know your opinion because i am dying to buy one, i have never used traktor or serato before and if you know why the s1 is 300 quid more than the t1 feel free to let me know. :eek:
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 03-18-2011 at 10:25 AM.

S4 all day, Pioneer are over rated :P

Choosing between Serato and Traktor is like choosing to drink Carling or Fosters!! Both have different qualities that appeal to different people. I would definitely try to get a feel for these programs before you shell out the cash. Depending which suits your style may help you decide which controller.

I personally think either of the Traktor controllers are a better option but that's because I use Traktor. And I think each has it's own + & -. There are alot of S4 owners on this forum so you are likely to be told to go for the S4 more so than the T1 but I'd want to personally go and try both before you decide.

Not much help I know but it's my opinion.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

well one of the things i am dying to know, is why is the Pioneer ddj-s1 £300 pound more than the S4 and T1 even though it dosnt seem to have anymore features than either, i am hoping someone has had an experiance on the new pioneer controllers + there is nowhere around my way where you can go and try them out

Tech Wizard

With Pioneer, you are always paying a fee for the brand, its that simple. No question Pioneer makes high-quality products, but I think its safe to say a large portion of that extra amount comes from the fact that the controller is manufactured by Pioneer.

Personally, the feel of a controller was paramount for me when I was making my decision. I spent quite a bit of time touching all of the knobs/faders/buttons and playing a few tracks on the VCI, NS7 and CDJ-1000s when I was transitioning from vinyl only to digital for the same reason you stated in the OP.

Unless you're in a serious time crunch, I would recommend taking your time and playing with an S4 while you wait for the S1 to come out. Your intuition may make the decision much easier once you've had the tactile sensation of each to compare.

Good Luck

Tech Mentor

Try em both and see which u like, but the s4 has more features
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

I think S4.

It's smaller than the others
    More features
    Built by NI for Traktor software
    Comes with everything (soundcard etc)

I suspect the s1 is dearer purely for marketing reasons... there's a (completely wrong and pointless) vibe that serato is somehow more "pro" than traktor.

It isn't, Itch is toilet compared to Traktor, let's be honest

DVS Serato vs Traktor scratch is debatable (not imo but still) but we're not talking about that here.

But the advice to go and try them is 100% the best advice.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

IMO, depends on what you spin. EDM guys will pick Traktor and Hip Hop guys will pick Serato. Then comes the fact that if your space is limited, the pioneer options are noticeable bigger than the Traktor S4. Then you are having another kid (Congratulations!! ) and you will need all the spare money you can and here is where the S4 seems to be a more bang for your buck: Fully featured controller, cheaper, smaller and Traktor Pro 2 upgrade for free. Since you come from Pioneer equipment, a transition to S1 or T1 will be more "feel at home" but again if you are not familiar with the software the going either way will require a learning curve. All in all, try before you buy!
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Okay, just to sum somethings up, to make it into epicness.

1. Initial thought
    Think of what you want to do, do you want to go spin cue-juggle and chop stuff up like crazy, are are you more for the traditional way, like you did with your CDJs?
    Chopping stuff up, Cue-juggles etc leads to the S4; more traditional way of spinning leads to the Pioneer Controllers.

2. Test Drive
    Next to this decision, try out all controllers. Try to feel all pros and cons imaginable, also get a taste of both software packages, Traktor and Serato.
    Traktor enables you to do more advanced technical stuff, Serato is for stability and mimics traditional DJing most. (This is, if you ask me)

3. Final Verdict
    Take a few days to see what sticks most in your mind. Once shaped, go to the shop and buy the controller with accompanying software!
    Last edited by tekki; 03-18-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

cheers for all the advice, i do love the layout and the sturdy build quality of pioneer + the S4 is smaller for space saving but a pro the pioneers have is the laptop slot to slot underneath + the money i make of the cdj's is all going back on dj'in equipment, i was going to get a new laptop just for music to go with the controller. i would love to go and try these controllers out but i am from a place called ashington about 14 miles from newcastle and there are no dj shops in the region. If anyones from newcastle area do you know of a dj shop because i have never seen any, i normally get my gear of the net which is why i never get to try before i buy + i'll be using it for house, funky house dance (dont do hip-hop),, Has anyone had a go on any of the pioneers yet + if the s4 come with the upgrade to traktor pro 2, does that means it will work if i take my laptop to the clubs

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast