How to politely say to other "DJ's": "You wont be spinning with my setup." - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"no"
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Look at the bouncer (or failing that, a big black guy) and point at her.

Tech Mentor

You could develop the "Imma gonna kill you look." Unless I know you from somewhere, touching my stuff is going to get your face kicked in. (Not really, but that's what the look on my face says.)
    Honestly though, if someone seems legit, I'll probably let them spin a few tracks. If they suck, it makes me look better, and if they are awesome it STILL makes me look better. As long as you can trust them not to spill a drink on your equipment, I'd let a random guy spin for 5 min or so.

some drunk girl kept trying to scratch on one of the jogs of my s4...

"youre not a real dj if you dont scratch" so i let her try real quick.....

after she throughly embarresed herself.. her boyfriend thanked me for allowing his girlfriend to make a fool outta herself so he had to go to a different bar. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

my mommy bought me this and she would be real upset if i let other kids touch my toys .

ctrld

[loosely quoting terry pratchett]

in a tone that combines statement, claim, threat and ultimatum, point at your gear and say: "MINE".

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Put up chickenwire :P

[youtube]F5N35kQAPv0[/youtube]

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Put up chickenwire :P

[youtube]F5N35kQAPv0[/youtube]
    I've DJ'd in booths with chicken wire.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Not that it has happened to me and sorry for this negative vibe thread but but I have heard stories... Obviously there are people you would help but every once in a while some douche may want to fuck with your shit. I'll try to explain.

In a similar way when someone asks to play a song you dont have, then they get mad, and you have to explain you are not Dj Jukebox, some people may ask to play with your equipment, after all, some people may think they are DJs after a few drinks. While a friend will take care of your equipment, you may feel reluctant to allow someone to use your stuff that may be drunk, or whatever and you simply don't feel comfortable. I have heard that telling them "no" may get them mad and try to damage your things by "accidentally" spilling a beverage or any other way to make that gig definitely not your favorite one.

Add to that that maybe the person needs to be, you know, checked, but you are in a club with well over $1000 of equipment so you just wont drop your things to make your point across (jab/hook) to let the person know "hey, thats not cool". Maybe a bro want to appear cool to his friends, maybe his girl talked about how great handsome DJ you are... limitless reasons for a dude to be definetly not cool.

I hope I have explained myself. The point is how you deal with this time of situation. Any stories/solutions in how to deal politely with this?
    Dude you are being way way way too nice.

It simply does not happen. You say "NO that cannot happen" and if he gets pissy you get security. Period.

Anyone who even asks to use your stuff is not a Pro and not someone who should ever be let in the booth. Anyone worth letting use your kit would not be the kind of person that would ask so you would never need to allow it.

Tech Student

Had a sort of sitiuation once with a very anoying guy.

Asked him a few times to go away because I couldn't allow him on stage but he didn't listen. I went to a bouncer and explained the situation and the bouncer just kicked him out of the venue, problem solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast