How to politely say to other "DJ's": "You wont be spinning with my setup."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to politely say to other "DJ's": "You wont be spinning with my setup."

Not that it has happened to me and sorry for this negative vibe thread but but I have heard stories... Obviously there are people you would help but every once in a while some douche may want to fuck with your shit. I'll try to explain.

In a similar way when someone asks to play a song you dont have, then they get mad, and you have to explain you are not Dj Jukebox, some people may ask to play with your equipment, after all, some people may think they are DJs after a few drinks. While a friend will take care of your equipment, you may feel reluctant to allow someone to use your stuff that may be drunk, or whatever and you simply don't feel comfortable. I have heard that telling them "no" may get them mad and try to damage your things by "accidentally" spilling a beverage or any other way to make that gig definitely not your favorite one.

Add to that that maybe the person needs to be, you know, checked, but you are in a club with well over $1000 of equipment so you just wont drop your things to make your point across (jab/hook) to let the person know "hey, thats not cool". Maybe a bro want to appear cool to his friends, maybe his girl talked about how great handsome DJ you are... limitless reasons for a dude to be definetly not cool.

I hope I have explained myself. The point is how you deal with this time of situation. Any stories/solutions in how to deal politely with this?
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Keep asking "WHAT?!?!" until (s)he gives up asking to use your gear over and over again.

Jus be like "Sorry man, the club owner told me not to let anyone else in here or on it or I would totally let you! However lets take a shot in a few minutes!"

Get a free drink, and keep em away from your equipment !

"may I borrow your children for one night? Why? What you see here is like my children, I don't want anyone touching them." End of the story. Works for me since years.

^ lolz i am gonna use that one

oops, I've totally been that guy once or twice. Not in the trying to break people's shit sense, but when I've been mega drunk I've definitely asked to have a go.

That was of course before I owned all my own gear and was instilled with a great sense of the preciousness and value of what is yours.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

plain and simple, just say you are working and you have to get back to work. if they dont leave flag security to get'em out of the booth
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    Keep asking "WHAT?!?!" until (s)he gives up asking to use your gear over and over again.
    FTW. I do that all the time. Ex. Last night.. "Can you play Friday by Rebecca Black" "Huh? Huh? I can't hear you? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    plain and simple, just say you are working and you have to get back to work. if they dont leave flag security to get'em out of the booth
    Professional.... but nowhere near as fun.
    Wanted: Traktor Kontrol Z2

Current: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Numark 5000 FX, Technics 1200 M3D, Technics 1200 MK2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Peavey XR 684, (2) MTX TP1200, Sony MDR-V700

"ask the cop that will inevitably pull over your drunk ass if you can try his gun, and cuffs. maybe take his cruiser for a spin"
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

"Sorry...the DJ who loans equipment isn't here right now."
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast