How do *you* use BOMES?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How do *you* use BOMES?

I'd like to dip my toes into Bome's MIDI Translator as I haven't yet. I'm on the website and reading it and it sounds cool....but:

I'm not sure how it would benefit me in regards to how I DJ.

Could someone maybe just throw out a couple examples (I'm looking at you Bento haha) as to the cool things you can do with Bome's that you couldn't do otherwise? I think maybe for some of the more advanced topics, we should state these sorts of things for those of us who don't really know and therefore probably wouldn't bother with something like Bome's...

So, inspire me!

Turn absolute values into relative values or vice versa.

Traktor Like modifers that can be programmed to a higher level - Either global variables or the use of presets can achieve this, or even a combination of the two.

Midi to keystoke so i can do ableton live looping

Changing ranges that midi knobs effect internal knobs - an example being your whole know turns only the second half of the range of the knob in the software. This way you can create true Moldover style smart knobs. An example of this would be the Ableton EQ fix i did recently where now the 0db gain is on the 12 oclock position of the EQ knobs and not the 4 oclock position.

Midi rules (Yes it does... pardon the pun)

Take a look at what Stanton has done with the DaScratch unit - basicly everything thats been done with the unit is based around Bomes.

Much better LED control that can be used in conjunction with "Modifiers".

More organised code and not as much of a headache as dealing with traktor modifers in that tiny little options window - you guys must be pulling your hair out using modifiers.

And just generally being able to put your ideas into physical being as opposed to only doing what the software allows you to.

Be able to use timers - an example of this would be a self destructing browser list in Traktor Pro. You could start flicking though your songs and if you dont load anything or move the playlist up or down within a certain time frame the playlist browser would close and go back to the normal veiw.

The list goes on and on.

Theres no need to go out and buy the Pro version strait off the bat either, get your feet wet using the basic edition before paying for the full version which is very much well worth it.

k Bento, i was asking this same question as the dude above me.

I figured out the possibility of making modifiers and organizing the whole thing... Few ppl on this board have spoken of using bomes to redirect their keyboard keys to midi (like regular PC keyboard) - this took my interest, and i have a question: can you simulate in Bomes knob or fader using only keyboard buttons?
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    k Bento, i was asking this same question as the dude above me.

I figured out the possibility of making modifiers and organizing the whole thing... Few ppl on this board have spoken of using bomes to redirect their keyboard keys to midi (like regular PC keyboard) - this took my interest, and i have a question: can you simulate in Bomes knob or fader using only keyboard buttons?
    Kind of - the button sends an on and off value, so using a timer you could create it so the button that will gradually increase the knob as long as you have the button held down on the keyboard.

You could then have another button to decrease the value and if you wanted you could have a shift buton that makes it go faster.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 01-10-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Still not using it too.

But I might start using it for 1 or 2 MIDI translations in Ableton.
    This is if I am going to start leaning on Ableton more heavily than I am now.
    There are some functions that are allowed to be mapped to keys and not MIDI, so I need to translate that.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

i am a midi noob, and currently i'm putting together an akai mpd24 and faderfox dj2 mapping for pro. I'm using two of the faders on the akai to control the filters in pro, but i want to make it so i don't have to press a button to turn on the filters, and instead have them automatically turn on when i push the faders below -5% and above 5%. Is there a way I can do this?

Takeabath - Yeah thats possible to do too.

Just use some midi rules to determine the position of the fader then the translator will send midi messages to rather turn off the filter or not depending on the position.

Tech Wizard

2 questions:

1 - Is it true that BMT can display pop-up graphics, similar to greasemonkey. For instance, I have pages set up for the browser section on my VCI which can be confusing at times. Can I make a GIF image like a custom dash-board displaying all my current settings that would change when the settings change?

2 - any stability issues / when used will a load order be required? meaning do I have to load bomes, then traktor or are they independent?

I appreciate your expertise,
    Sheph.

1 - Thats has not made its way into the public release just yet.

2 - Load order isnt important - i have allways found public released of Bomes are rock solid. "Yet another program to crash" is an issue for alot of people but i can honestly say Bomes isnt like that.

And no problem, i have been trying to get you guys using Bomes forever now - now that Traktor has modifers and every man and his dog is going to start using them i think people should be looking at expanding what they can do by picking up Bomes if you all like to keep one step ahead of other Traktor users.

Bomes is an absoletly wonderful addition to Ableton too which doesnt have anything quite as nice as Traktors midi implementation - though it does have a half decent implementation of Racks, but even they could be better.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 01-11-2009 at 01:10 AM.

K, thats enough for me, i am off to dl bomes... umm bento is bomes manual enough to get basic things all worked up, or do you have any fancy tips where to find user tutorials or any other help (not looking for a book, something on the net).
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast