Vestax PDX-A2 Turntables - Any opinions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vestax PDX-A2 Turntables - Any opinions?

Like many who have gone before me, I too sold my 1210s in a moment of desperation and imminent fatherhood. Fast forward 4 years and I am now lucky enough to be the proud owner of the S4 but am looking to bring a set of decks back into the setup. While I would love to drop the appropriate coin on a set of 1210s that seem to be on the used market from $250 each to several million dollars a pop, I am simply out of funds.

I have seen a pair of Vestax PDX-A2 - The battle style decks and wondered if anyone has owned them? I am mainly looking to scratch but might dig out some old vinyl too. I have read some comments on other sites but frankly, I need confidence in the opinions I am given and I trust you lot.

So, thoughts?

Cheers,

SmiTTTen
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

They are F*cking great turntables ... I used to sell DJ gear and got my hands on one of the first ever pairs made and they are solid and reliable and the battle style was dead handy from a space point of view

Things to watch out for on Vestax turntables of that generation:

1) was a bad run of motors at one point in time (around the same time as A1/2) which resulted in about 3-4mm up and down movement of the platter...

Test by laying both palms each side of the spindle and pushing slightly up/down on each side (not heavy). If you hear a gentle knocking you probably have one of these motors, it really wont effect you unless you are a heavy scratcher, I had mine replaced soon after purchase.

2) Rear RCA plates been Abused or Crushed in a coffin case or tight DJ box.. can result in grounding or cables not connecting properly

3) Broken Tone-arm holders, pretty common but easy replacement

4) No Target Light (means you have to buy separate).

5) Headshell wiggling badly left and right.

Depends on the price I guess. The "S" series had a better tonearm. The PDT 5000 is a better deck IMHO and nicer rubbery buttons than A Series.
    Last edited by deevey; 03-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks mate! Appreciate the detailed insight. I am looking at the Vestax website and it seems these are shipped with straight tone arms yet the picture shows an S shaped tone arm:

Its not a deal breaker as I can probably get new tone arms but wanted to get your opinion?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Thats the mk2 version which to my knowledge had no motor issues, slightly different platter (mk1 had the PDT5000 platter) and less aluminium.

The A2S has the straight tonearm.

Mine actually had a S shaped black and red tonearm which I never saw on another A2, rather than alu/red but it was the same assembly.

Shouldn't effect your spinning in any way i'd say go for it

Oh yeah and watch out for hotrocks they are made outta wood

Beauty. I'll let ya know if I get em which I hope I do!

Default hehe...saw your sig. and thought I'd share...

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I used to have the Good Lord Jesus Christ in my life but recently I upgraded to a MacBook Pro.

------=== ===------

I'm using a pair of A1 mk2s - they're pretty much the same decks except standard style, S-shaped tonearm. Decent decks but braking speed is a bit wimpy on mine (not that I use brake stops a lot).

The pitch faders are easily taken apart without disassembling the whole deck. That'll come in handy as you'll probably have to fix the grease in them, which by now is likely a bit crappy

The tonearm height adjustments could be improved upon, it's really nothing like what you're used to from tech12's - the assembly is loaded on some sort of spring which you lock in place with a screw without a matching hole, so sometimes it'll spring back into place and mess things up. Regardless of that, there's no precise way to tell what height you're at, you'll have to eyeball it.

Also, the pitch fader stem doesn't lock tightly with the actual fader assembly so I had to credit card mod them to get rid of that 1.25 mm of play in the faders... that was a bit of a pain for super tight beatmatching adjustments

Hopefully most of these issues will have been somewhat worked around on the A2s.

disclaimer : I am not a turntablist, I just spin house and techno.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 03-20-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks! How much did you pay for yours and what would you pay for a used set today?

I am planning on hooking them up to the S4 to learn to scratch and may also go timecode vinyl route once TP2 is released.

Any reason why these wouldn't work?

I missed on these buy $25! grrrrrrr.

Still looking for a pair of 1200/1210s or PDXs if anyone knows someone looking to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by b3nz0n8 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast