How Do I Found Out What Music is Hot? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I guess thats the one drawback with digital DJing, the abundance of music, yet lack of organization in trying to buy it!

It used to be such a pleasure going down to the local record shops, be handed a bag of 50 newest releases by a shop owner each week who knew exactly what you spin and what you like (or not) and spend the afternoon trawling though every flipside mix before laying out your hard earned cash.

Now its needing to wait on buffering, pages to reload, more pages which link off other pages of stuff completely irrelevant , then waiting on the files to download, then organize them and find album art (or create it) all just feels like an endless chore.

Surely there must be some money in a physical MP3 shop that specializes in digital releases ? A middleman, like the vinyl shops of old who for want of a better word cut out the crap and takes the edge off trying to find the good ones ?

Tech Mentor

What I always used to do was buy either DJmag or IDJ(in UK) and read the reviews.

Try and spend a few hours a week listening to as much as you can and then make a wish list of say 25-50 tracks.

Then half it. and half it again. You'll end up buying only the stuff that you REALLY like.

That was a tip I picked up from the how to DJ(Properly) book by bill brewster i think it was. Not a bad tip really

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Actually, it's quite the opposite of this. I follow a bunch of labels/artists and spend some time listening to semi-random stuff, giving 2-3 sec per sample for them to catch my attention.
    I do pretty much the same as this, if it aint hooked me in within the first few bars im moving on
    Traktor Pro 2 -/- Xone 92 -/- Audio 8 DJ -/- 2x Kontrol X1 -/- Maschine -/- Xone XD53 -/- KRK RP6

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I guess thats the one drawback with digital DJing, the abundance of music, yet lack of organization in trying to buy it!
    I was thinking about this over breakfast and how saturated the market has become. It then dawned on me that even though every music site posts new charts monthly, weekly and even daily, there is no possible way anyone can dig through all of them. This is actually a very good thing and quite like digging in the older days.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

Dosnt really matter whats hot, read the crowd see what type of people are in and drop what you think(that all apply but i dont do R n B or Chav crap) i get a lot through in promo's (to much infact, been on 8 lists) i have a listen and what i like i play, weather its hot or not lol + not many people have heard them with them been random mixes on promo's. I dont know about anyone else i do it for the love of music and i enjoy it a lot more because i play tunes i like. i lost a residency because the bar was taken over and it was a pure house bar, which was loved, he wanted me to play commercial crap, like lady gaga and kept telling me to turn it down, did i listen, NOPE!!!

Tech Mentor

Just gettin the promo for this tune, with afrojack mixes and that but this bootleg is awsom, take a listen (everone have a listen)

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/82690870/file.html

I love anything with a sax in

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Rectal thermometer.

Use as directed and follow with a taste...
    i guess its predictable that pretty much everyone on the forum knew i would laugh audibly at this.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Guru

start with checking out all the new releases at the record store sites, find the artists,labels and genres that appeal to you and take it from there.

if it still doesn't make sense god have mercy on you.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I guess thats the one drawback with digital DJing, the abundance of music
    Disagree. This thread seems odd to me in that the reason I became interested in DJing was I always loved just going thru music whatever the format. It just seems like if you think going thru music is a chore maybe this isnt really the hobby for you. Dont let me discourage you just seems like something that needs to be considered

Tech Wizard

blogs blogs blogs and warez music blogs/forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast