First gig on friday (help me cut down tracklist)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First gig on friday (help me cut down tracklist)

I have my first gig in a club on saturday, and i'm putting together my tracklist(i'm prepping to avoid failing, one of the other DJ's on the night is a major promoter of local DJ's in belfast and i need to impress)
    The only problem is i've just been told my set has to be between 30-40 minutes, which as a minimal and hard techno DJ can be a bit difficult. My tracklist is as follows

Audacity Of Huge (SMD Space Cave Version)-Simian Mobile Disco
    Atmosphere (Koen Groeneveld Remix)-Jon Rundell
    Just be good to me (Acapella)_Beats International
    Liquid Brain-Fergie
    Budgie-Funkagenda
    Bom Bang!-Marco Bailey
    Spastik (Dubfire Rework)-Plastikman
    Slap-Umek
    Higher State of Consciousness (Original Tweekin Acid Funk Mix)-Wink
    Heaven Is a Place on Earth-Belinda Carlisle
    Waves-Boys Noize and Erol Alkan

Now i need to cut this down to between 30-40 minutes, its currently running at 50... help?

50 even when mixing? That doesnt seem like a lot of songs for a 40 min mix. Post a mix and I'll help u out with the cut.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What time are you on? If you're on early or are the first DJ take out the highest energy tracks as they'll be more impressed that you know not to play bangers early in the night.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

vneondreamsv

Goodluck!

get a wider playlist than you need, then just play what feels right, go with the flow man!

I'm the first DJ on, but there are bands on before me which are supposedly quite high energy. I cut it down to under 40 minutes by taking out higher state of conciousness, shortening the mix on Bom Bang, and replaced my mashup of Belinda Carlisle and Erol Alkan with the Boys Noize remix of Personal Jesus! PhotoJojo i took your advice, and i'm using a lower energy remix of Liquid Brain to build up the pace a bit. Thank you

Tech Mentor

Default No!

Quote Originally Posted by plw1993 View Post
    (i'm prepping to avoid failing, one of the other DJ's on the night is a major promoter of local DJ's in belfast and i need to impress)
    WRONG! One of the fundamental DJ skills is reading the crowd. Pick 3-4 songs, figure out a really sweet way to mix between those 4, and after that just go with the flow. Have 3-4 more that go really well together just in case nobody's feeling it, that'll be your out. Seriously, wing it, at the very least you'll learn something, and 40 minutes isn't a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    WRONG! One of the fundamental DJ skills is reading the crowd.
    true, but being the first DJ on for the night, there isn't much of a crowd to read, regardless of bands playing before or not.

bands and EDM are two different beasts, and generally the crowd thats into one isn't into the other.

being your first gig (and it only being short) play what you know in the order you're comfortable with to help keep your nerves to a minimum. reading the crowd and things like that will come over time mate so dont stress about it this time around... and as photojojo said - dont play any 'bangers' when doing an opening set.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

There is nothing wrong with prepping the shit out of it.

If you prep enough it gives you a mental safety net and you will feel less anxious about the set.
    Even if you totally wing it on the night and you read the crowd right, just going into the gig with your confidence up because you 'feel' like you have prepared well is priceless.

Ive done 100s of gigs and totally thrown my setlist out of the window but i always do my prep. Its not uncommon for me to have 10 hours of music in various playlists for any eventuality just for a 2 hour gig.

Ive winged it for 5 or 6 hours without a single reference to a playlist but i always do some prep.

A dj that doesnt prep is an idiot and probably never really does the best that he can... most importantly, the prep is fun.

put a crate of 30 killer tracks together and go with the floor boss.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast