Beats Audio
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beats Audio

Default Beats Audio

So I'm considering upgrading my laptop and I'm deciding between either a MBP or an HP Envy. I have an HP now and I love it so I'm tempted to stick with the same brand but anyways, the Envys come with Beats Audio. My question is this: Does Traktor recognize Beats and allow it to be used? If not, does Beats support Asio?
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'd stay away from any audio coloring or post processing of that kind for professional use. Remember audio quality is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Long story short, don't buy a notebook based on software "audio enhancements"

^^^^ what he said.

i personally love my MBP. shits teh bomb.

i see this turning into another apple/pc debate. but you do get what you pay for. the macs are streamlined and pretty (but a pain to mod) whereas a pc you can replace everything and keep going.

next computer i make/buy is gonna be a desktop running OSX (hackintosh....http://www.hackintosh.com/)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    ^^^^ what he said.

i personally love my MBP. shits teh bomb.

i see this turning into another apple/pc debate. but you do get what you pay for. the macs are streamlined and pretty (but a pain to mod) whereas a pc you can replace everything and keep going.

next computer i make/buy is gonna be a desktop running OSX (hackintosh....http://www.hackintosh.com/)
    I'm not trying to turn this into a apple/pc debate cause I hear enough of that with my best friend. I just want to know if anyone has experience with Beats Audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

fair warning, last hackintosh thread got locked. lets not go in that direction.

also, i know its a bit OT but today i over heard a guy who liked that you needed batteries for the beats.
    paraphrase (close to what he said though):
    'yeah its really cool, you open the side and you putt them in and then theres a button to turn them on and then the foam things that go around it, you know, they start canceling noise'

if he spoke a bit more loudly i could turn around and smack him. but he wasnt loud, so it was more like eavesdropping.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
    I'm not trying to turn this into a apple/pc debate cause I hear enough of that with my best friend. I just want to know if anyone has experience with Beats Audio.
    speak to xtianw, he runs a HP Envy

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    speak to xtianw, he runs a HP Envy
    +1, was jus gonna suggest that. Btw he loves his.

Tech Mentor

From what i know traktor recognizes both soundcars, so u can dj with out an external card, but id still recommend one. Since its built for audio it should have pretty low latency stock, id say go for it
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Coming from someone that had a HP Envy 14 (Beats Edition) to a MBP 13, I would say go with the MBP

I had the HP Envy 14 for a month until I started fooling around with my friend's MBP 13. I don't wanna get too in depth cause that's when I'll start talking about the Mac vs. Windows OS. But simply put it "felt" faster and the screen was much more vivid and brighter than the HP Envy. Mind you they ran out of the "Radiance" display for the Envy and their "Brightview" screen is utter crap. I know the specs on the HP Envy is better but remember that the MBP 13 just got refreshed with a faster processor and bigger HD space.

Basically, if your looking for a laptop for gaming go for the Envy because it fairs better than the MBP in that department.

If your looking for reliability, efficiency, and longer life on battery (+ for college students) I'd say go for the MBP.

As far as the Beats Audio goes, do NOT put that into consideration. It is just a marketing scheme to lure in customers who thinks everything that's branded by Dr. Dre is going to be professionally sound and amazing...Not. I'm not sure about the HP Envy 14 original line but when I had my HP Envy 14 Beats Edition there was a "Beats" logo on my "b" key which toggled on/off the Beats Audio. It basically just raised up the lows for a harder bass...
    Thats it.

Besides, I'm assuming since your asking on a DJ forum you have an external audio interface... so why bother wondering about the pre-installed soundcard on the laptop?

Tech Guru

facts about the hp envy and the reasons i sold my 2010 macbook pro specifically to buy one.

1) the hp envy is crazy fast. pick any processor for it, any screen size and you'll know that if you get the hankering to do it, you have the power to, aside from dj'ing, edit serious videos quickly, or play a lag free game of black ops if you so chose to.

2) the envy has dual headphone outs with a second set of opamps on each of them. the output is STRONG. at least that of an audio 2, imo its better. definetly better than the output of a vci 300. a godsend for smaller parites,. if youre a vci-100 guy, that means less stuff to carry, and less stuff to worry about. 1 headphone for cue, the other out to speakers.

3) 3 usb ports on the 14" envy. 1 of them doubles as an esata port. that means one more usb device without a hub (macbook pro's only have 2 except for the 17"). the esata port means FAST external hard drives that use little to no cpu overhead for that speed.

4) hdmi and mini display ports standard. hdmi is what i care about when using an external monitor.

5) 2 years premium warranty standard on every envy with us based tech priority tech support if you need it. there are also more hp service centers than any brand out there. so if you have a problem, getting it to a tech to get work done under warranty isnt a problem whatsoever.

6) windows 7. yes im going to put that here because it kicks ass. it has more software for it than any other platform, and no matter what you need to do. it runs traktor great, the s4, midi fighters, you name it. if you ever decide to play a game, you can walk into any store and see hundreds of them ready to play. for the mac, there might be 8 or 9. and you already played those games 2 years ago.

7) dont buy an envy to hackintosh it. there are better laptops for that. they finally got quartz extreme running under full hardware acceleration. but the broadcom ethernet port and intel wifi are currently not supported. so if you do it, no internet. not the best laptop for that. acer's and asus laptops are better at that.

8) the extra battery gives 12 hours of battery life when installed. the envy's extra battery on the 14 also fits the bottom footprint of the entire laptop. so nobody can tell youre even using one. it looks sleek as hell.

9) sadly yes, the radience ips like displays they used to put in envys are no more. the company that hp sourced them from went out of business sadly. but the brightview is good. ask jesc. when i setup at his sunday night gig, he actually had to ask me to turn down the brightness on my laptop because it was so bright that it was like having a light on in the dj area.

10) also has an aluminum body.

laptops are computers. i honestly think its silly to buy a laptop "just" for dj'ing. but then again, the way mac extensions get so out of hand and kext files run broken, i can see why with a mac, you kind of have to dedicate it to just one thing. if you do more than that without regular maintenence (something most mac users dont know how to do which is silly, 1 app does it all for them with 2 mouse clicks). you can do more with an envy. more applications, more games, more software, fantastic performance, for about 300-500 dollars less than anything apple would sell you.

if you do buy a macbook, buy it refurbished from apple. all internals and the screens are all brand new on their refurbs. the only thing they reuse is the case and apple direct refubs all come with the same 1 year applecare warranty that their new laptops do. theres almost no reason to buy new from the apple store because of it. unless you like throwing money away.

good luck, enjoy your new computer when you get it
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast