Fixed Mac OS X 10.5.6 w/ DJIO Crashing, How can I best help DJTT get exposure?
    Tech Guru

Default Fixed Mac OS X 10.5.6 w/ DJIO Crashing, How can I best help DJTT get exposure?

There is a known problem with the djio and os X 10.5.6, after upgrading to traktor pro and to traktor 3.4. I was having my macbook crash after enabling my djio in either program. Being frustrated with this I looked at the alternatives, which were to rollback my laptop (which is a pain in the a**), or wait for numark to issue a fix, which I was unable to find on various forums discussing the issue and the apple support pages. So I looked around and found a similar issue with the usb drivers was plaguing people who were looking to hack their iphones, and found that they had a solution which was to copy parts of the file from an older update and replace those parts in the new file. I tried this and found that it failed to work (file is IOUSBFamily.kext), so instead I replaced the entire file using their method (a synthesis because directly copying the file yields no working usb ports; based off another djio user's posting who tried this) and voila now it works with traktor 3 and traktor pro.

So after that last monster paragraph (sorry) my point of posting this (I know the above paragraph lacks specifics and is generally unhelpful) is to ask how I should go about writing and making the details of my fix so as to gain exposure for djtechtools.com (this site has done so much for me, if I can bring more users to it I would love to help it). My plans were to do the following, create aforementioned guide for fixing the issue, and then go back to the sites that I found to be a problem and post that I have created a fix for the issue, with a link to a djtechtools page where I will post the fix. My questions are which section of the forums should I post the fix in and are there any other suggestions (ie. writing a description of the site above the link to the fix, emailing numark with a link to the djtechtools page with the fix). Also this fix involves taking a file out of an apple update, to replace on apple computers, is this a problem for you guys to have the information (but not the file, or even the file if it is ok) posted here?

Sorry for the massive post, if anyone is in dire need of this fix tonight post back and I will put a sloppy version up asap, but otherwise I am going to try and write the fix clearly and concisely (unlike this post) sometime later tonight.
    Matt
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 01-11-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: grammatical errors/I am an idiot

Tech Guru

After testing this fix and having the DJIO work well with both Traktor 3.4 and Traktor Pro, I realized that the VCI-100 wasn't appearing in either version of Traktor (irony). So I am going to focus on tweaking the file I replaced and hopefully can get a fix, for the problem.

ED. Checked utilities and it is finding the VCI-100, but is saying it only has one midi port in and one out, everything seems like it is grayed out.

Tech Guru

okay fixed problem with having traktor not recognize vci-100, so far everything is working fine for both.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how the driver problem can be fixed. As I didn't like to fiddle around with my system / using the terminal (being afraid I would mess up....), I contacted Numark and asked about the status of the driver update. They sent me a beta driver (1.6.6), just installed it, ran Tractor Pro and on first impression the DJIO now works fine. At least it doesn't crash my system straight away. Hopefully this driver will continue to work well. Fingers crossed.

You could post a neat organised work around on the forums here then link to here - nice work on the fix.

Edit: oh wait you did ! nice work man, thanks for your contribution
    Last edited by BentoSan; 02-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Tech Guru

hey i'd love to get my hands on that beta driver if you have a copy you could post up man