set sets

Thread: set sets

Default set sets

Interested to know how many Dj's here program their sets, and how many just wing it. Ive been playing out now for maybe a year and gigs are becoming more regular. I tend to spend a lot of preparation in programming my sets.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Unless it's reeeeally important, I much prefer to mix...

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Unless it's reeeeally important, I much prefer to mix...

+1
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    +1
    +1 (=2)

I wing it - I have a few transistions I've stumbled across that work particularly well, so I might use them every once in a while.

If you entirely preprogram your set and don't/can't vary it you might as well press play on iTunes and sit at the bar all night ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post

If you entirely preprogram your set and don't/can't vary it you might as well press play on iTunes and sit at the bar all night ...

thats the point.. a few of my friends do exactly this. preplan every track in a set, writing a playlist and just play the exact same set over and over again.. i find this rather boring..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Guru

I always program a set, i rarely end up following it though - especially once substances are consumed.

I find myself programming as i play quite often as i like to play full tracks so i have quite a bit of time, usually 3-5 tracks ahead of myself.

Tech Wizard

I pick out songs I want to play that night, but I don't have any specific order I'll play them.
    I also have 2-5 song mixes that I've practiced a lot that I'll play at some points during my set, but they'll be added in on the fly with no real planning beforehand.

on the fly x3

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

I do prepare the set a few days before the gig, and print the playlist on paper.
    Then when in the gig i do change on the fly ondepending on whats happening on the dancefloor.
    My style is very "eclectic", so when im improvising a lot, and start fearing to get lost, i take the sheet of paper from my pocket and default to the original idea..

Controller: Reloop Digital Jockey Master Edition
    Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4101 Wlmi (WinXP)
    Dj Software: Traktor Pro