Reason 5.0 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    I think a lot of people are turned off to Reason because 1) It's completely autonomous/self-contained, no VSTs allowed. However, it's versatility in creating sounds is almost limitless, which I feel makes VSTs unnecessary.
    I'd kind of agree and disagree with this.

A few of my producer/engineer friends like software like Ableton, Cubase, ProTools, Logic etc because of the VST compatability. I think they feel that this gives them the flexibility they need to use whatever they think sounds best, as opposed to Reason where you have to use it's in-house mastering/effect tools.

One of my mates is obsessed with a couple of bits, one being the Lexicon Reverbs and one being the Omnisphere. He reckons not having things as vital as them in Reason makes him steer away from it.

Personally, like I've said, I love Reason as a synth and drum machine and usually use it to ReWire into Ableton. However, on it's own, as a production tool I don't think it's as complete and intuitive as Ableton, ProTools, Logic etc (even though it may be more progressive in creating unique sounds etc, hence why I input from it into Ableton).
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    Was that a response to me? I finalise in Ableton. Just use Reason as a synth to ReWire into Ableton. Hence why I said I use Waves VST's in Ableton (as VST's aren't usable in Reason).
    No but I bet they bring Vst support on version 6 whats left to add a cdr burner..

If you could add your own tools to reason what would they be..?

Mine would be vst support and some better reverbs,, and Phat Bass synth, String Synth, New Effects.. Maybe a Wasp Synth yet that would be cool to see.

Or maybe you could recreate your own synth with more items abit like the thor but more update with lots more addons.

I dont like the new Dr rex player in 5, so I've gone back to version 4 also had a problem with the Korg drum clips on beat 1 for some reason.

I'm a big fan of reason I've been using since version 1,, just hope they would finally add vst & vsti,dxi support maybe in version 6 who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I'd kind of agree and disagree with this.

A few of my producer/engineer friends like software like Ableton, Cubase, ProTools, Logic etc because of the VST compatability. I think they feel that this gives them the flexibility they need to use whatever they think sounds best, as opposed to Reason where you have to use it's in-house mastering/effect tools.

One of my mates is obsessed with a couple of bits, one being the Lexicon Reverbs and one being the Omnisphere. He reckons not having things as vital as them in Reason makes him steer away from it.

Personally, like I've said, I love Reason as a synth and drum machine and usually use it to ReWire into Ableton. However, on it's own, as a production tool I don't think it's as complete and intuitive as Ableton, ProTools, Logic etc (even though it may be more progressive in creating unique sounds etc, hence why I input from it into Ableton).
    I think it sounds better thru Ableton via rewire plus you can add some pro vsts and compressors to blast the sound out with.

Quote Originally Posted by soloquest View Post
    I think it sounds better thru Ableton via rewire plus you can add some pro vsts and compressors to blast the sound out with.
    Indeed and that's the way I do it personally!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, that's what I was saying...I think that's one main reason people don't care for it...because you can't use VSTs.

I like Dr Octo Rex simply because of the possibility to use separate REX files in one unit...that comes in handy, especially if you slice up and make your own rex files with recycle...Rex's power is kind of limited if you aren't slicing and making your own rex loops.

I don't think Prop head will ever incorporate vst compatibility into their system...I think their main selling point (whether you agree with this or not is another story) is the notion that you can create whatever sound you want using everything contained within Reason, without the use, or added resource drain of VSTs....and if you know your way around, I think I would agree...
    Last edited by KnightsOfTheRound; 03-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Tech Guru

used to use it rewired into my daw...
    kind of a clunky way of working though, not really worth the hassle imo.

i think the concept of reason is great and the instruments&fx sound pretty nice but the workflow is the worst of any of the daw softwares. rackmount system is bullshit, the sequencer is bullshit... fuck that shit.

It's the sequencer and work area that puts me off using just Reason. It's far too cumbersome and confusing, whereas the likes of Ableton is super intuitive, easy and user friendly.

Personally I love the rack element of Reason and that's one of its major selling point for me. To be able to experiment with sound and effects and send the sound chain in whatever directiin you feel is an amazing feature for software. You can even send left channel sound of an.instrument through one chain and the right through a completely different chain.

Once you learn it all, I honestly think you'd struggle to find a better production combo than Reason ReWired into your DAW of choice, Ableton in my case.

Tech Guru

you guys really need to try record. it addresses the 2 chief conplaints you guys have.

mixer and sequencing.

Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

According to the latest Computer Magazine, they reaaaaally love the new Reason. I have played with Ableton but almost all people recommend either Reason or Pro Tools.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast