Best Macbook spec for DJ's and Producers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Macbook spec for DJ's and Producers

Hey guys,

I'm buying a Macbook i will solely use for DJ'ing and Producing (like i would use it for anything else!!!) What is the best Macbook spec (or minimum) for me if i'm be running Traktor for DJ'ing and Ableton Live for Producing (with midi controllers and keyboard too.

Leme know.

Sam

any macbook that your likely to wanna buy will run traktor and ableton flawlessly really. Traktor doesnt need much to run, its not really processor or ram intensive and will run on a netbook if you really want it to, ableton is the only thing ud really need to worry about, and as far as thats concerned any from the past 3-4 years will run ableton no problem, though you might run into some difficulties if your running an extensive number of vst's at once. If your just planning on buying a new one then you have nothing to worry about though, the new macbooks are beasts.

Tech Mentor

I recommend the Core i5 MBP 13".

It is based on newer tech, has similar price to Macbook and is relatively inexpensive for Mac products.

I think it isn't worth it to buy Macbook because they are going to get updated soon.

@Conall Wikid, think you have cleared that up quickly! Thank you matey.

Sam

@Kaek....Thanks dude....would it be better to shell out the extra dollar and get a 13" or 15" with an i7 processor?

Tech Mentor

If you know you will use the power yes. If you don't know then no. Most apple upgrades are a ripoff anyway, exceptions are the graphics cards.

I use an old MBP 15" 4.1, 4gig of ram, 2.4ghz proc, and I don't have any issues running traktor or ableton.

One thing which people often overlook btw when choosing MB vs MBP is the screen quality, it is better in the MBP. You might not care but it helps justify the higher price.

If you want real cheap, look for a second hand MBP, theres prob heaps on the market since it was recently updated.

Read the article on the cover of the DJTT website. It's all about ports. Only the newest macbooks have the thunderbolt port. While this isn't really imporant now, it will be moving forward. If you're buying a new laptop might aswell make sure to get the one with the soon to be port of the future.

I got the stock 15in Mac Book pro... I would recommended it over the 13 for a few reasons. The added screen size will be helpful in actually seeing whats on your screen. You don't want to have to lean over your gear to read your track list. Also the speakers are 10x better then the 13 in. While, of course, you wont be using these in music production, if you are anything like me you have music playing all the time and I have loved the strong and quality sound (considering it's in a macbook). Lastly the 15in had quadcore which is another thing that doesn't matter as much now, but will moving forward.

Just my 2 cents... take it or leave it.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | MacBook Pro ''15 | Traktor Pro 2
    Twitter
    Facebook
    SoundCloud
    Mertojolt

Tech Guru

I would pick up one of the older refurb'd macbooks that doesn't have lightpeak in it.

Not trying to act all high and mighty but I worked on this technology last year and by no means was it ready to come to the market...there will be alot of glitches and more glitches with specific programs and by the next gen of macbooks they will be worked out.

You can get a macbook pro i7 from last year that will work fine.

get the newest one
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast