Valeway OOVJ, the DJ specific laptop. WHY!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valeway OOVJ, the DJ specific laptop. WHY!

OK so. To start with, this is what it looks like:

and here's the enormous review on Skratchworx:

So... am I missing something? I totally don't get it. This thing has a base price of £3600. That's a pretty penny. Thinking about it in terms of what is arguably the most common DJing laptop, the Apple Macbook Pro, you could buy nearly THREE of the top spec 13" model for the same outlay. And what do you get? Well here are the hardware specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Skratchworx
    • Intel T7250 2GHz CPU
    • 2GB DDR2 667 RAM
    • 2GB WD20 Green HD
    • Integrated Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Display adapter
    • Integrated motherboard Audio
    • Integrated Wi-Fi
    • Touch-screen
    • Slot-loading DVD-Writer
    • M Audio Delta 1010lt audio interface – 24bit 96 KHz
    • Illuminated waterproof keyboard
    • RJ45 Ethernet connector
    • 3 USB ports
    • 1 1394 FireWire 400 port
    • DVI video output
    • S-video and composite TV output
    • Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Not exactly mind blowing. And it weighs the same and is the same size as a Technics 1200. It's pretty damn bombproof and stable, but is that worth it when you have to carry it around like a briefcase with the built in carry handle because it's that damn heavy? Wouldn't you rather just have an MBP or a HP envy and be a bit more careful with it? How often do you actually spin in a warzone! And in a crowded bar full of violent people, I think I'd rather play with a cheap laptop that didn't matter to me than one that cost £3600 and could be used as a weapon against me.

My other problem is the soundcard. As a dedicated music laptop, the OOVJ has a high performance M-Audio 4in 6out soundcard. It's what you'd expect. However, of course, this card is not useable with either Traktor Scratch or Serato Scratch Live, completely negating its usefulness for DVS. Therefore I question why it needs so many inputs and outputs if you're going to have a run an SL-1 or Audio 4 anyway. Wouldn't it make more sense to have an integrated card similar to an Audio 2 but with an input? As the reviewer (who in fact liked the unit) said,

Of course, the combination of TS Pro and the Audio 4 wiped the floor with Deckadance and [numark] Cue, but that is to be expected
    So in summary, I don't get it at all. Oh, and according to one of the photos, it has a 'Compostie' out port. Just reminds me that everything inside is ageing and unexciting, only really good for fertilising rhubarb.

/rant.

What do you think?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

ugly

as

sin

laptops not bad lookin tho
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

I've already added my comments on skratchworks.

For me, the biggest issue is the fact that it runs on mains power only.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Guru

So in summary, I don't get it at all.
    The really cool thing is that you don't HAVE to "get it". No one's forcing you to buy one. There is obviously a niche out there that wants this product, or it wouldn't have been made. I don't understand why someone would villify this product for being overpriced and underpowered, yet pay a premium for a MBP when it's the same hardware made by the same factory on the same lines as computers by Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.

I would never own one of these, but I can see the value in it. And I'm savvy enough to know that building a stable and rock solid computer for audio work isn't about using the NEWEST components - it's about using the RIGHT components. Sometimes the right components are older than the current standard. And also keep in mind that this isn't a laptop computer - it's a desktop. That means no stupid power management issues, no overheating under load, easy replacement of components, and easy upgrades.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think they are catering for the high end function/wedding/social event DJ that has a full rig and needs it to be flight ready and purpose built.

I think it looks terrible but, theres the rub. A DJ whos business is doing functions probably does not care about that.
    Its a business mans DJ laptop. If that makes me sound un-pro so be it. I am a pro DJ but i am not a business man by any means and i dont want to appear as one or behave as one.

Like a Mac, i bet it 'just works' but unlike a Mac i bet the logic board does not crap out after 2 years of heavy use... and thats the selling point.

I checked these out at BPM.

Massive and heavy but the touchscreen is a cool feature. Not that i'd use it.

Its built of normal pc components which I view as a waste, if the used laptop parts it would be a lot easier to handle.

My biggest gripe with it is, it states is waterproof & all that. But there are massive vents on the top just above the keyboard. When I questioned the rep about it he told me they had to cool it somehow. Bit of a stupid place to put a vent imo. A standard laptop with a waterproof cover over the keyboard would stand up better to your average drunk patron encounter.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Guru

...if the used laptop parts it would be a lot easier to handle.
    And have worse performance. Power management functionality in laptops extends further than the CPU throttling and component sleep features you have control over on a given laptop. There are all kinds of concessions made to lower power consumption and reduce heat, and airflow around components is inhibited. These all effect bottom line performance.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    There is obviously a niche out there that wants this product, or it wouldn't have been made. I don't understand why someone would villify this product for being overpriced and underpowered, yet pay a premium for a MBP when it's the same hardware made by the same factory on the same lines as computers by Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
    Don't want to start the old mac PC debate, but I feel I've got my money's worth with my MBP. For one thing, I've had it for about 2 years now and it works fine which is a lot more than can be said for the VAIO I had before it.

I would never own one of these, but I can see the value in it. And I'm savvy enough to know that building a stable and rock solid computer for audio work isn't about using the NEWEST components - it's about using the RIGHT components. Sometimes the right components are older than the current standard. And also keep in mind that this isn't a laptop computer - it's a desktop. That means no stupid power management issues, no overheating under load, easy replacement of components, and easy upgrades.
    Yeh I can see that you don't want to use the absolute latest components if you're going for reliability (look at the new MBPs carpping out for example), but in terms of desktops if that's what we want to call it, 2GHz core 2 duo and 2GB of RAM was the high end standard about what, 4 or 5 years ago? And you'd want this thing to last you a few years, by which time I'd question its ability to run current software of the day. You could use the same money to buy a new solid laptop or whatever ever couple of years and have much better performance.

I know it's a niche product. Sorry, I guess I just read the review and wanted to vent a little on how unsuitable it was for MY needs

Haters gotta hate I guess.
    Sometimes, sometimes
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Panasonic Toughbook's* work out £1000 cheaper for a more rugged (and faster) machine! ... if I was in the market for a purely rugged lappie thats the route i'd take.

Be that with a smaller screen, for £1000 you could get onehellofa controller / soundcard etc etc ...

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...ook-cf-31.aspx

BTW A friend of mine used to be a sales agent for these and used to demo their durabilty to potential customers by throwing them against a wall!

Apart from looking flashy and basically being a portable desktop, what are the real benefits ?

Wish they didn't discontinue the 17' imac, it was a great size IMHO ... add a detachable stand it'd be be pretty awesome in a road case :P

Tech Mentor

For me it's not about "hating". I'm sure this is the right machine for a fairly small market.

.....that market doesn't include me though (& by rights it should, as a lot of my work is large scale corporate do's etc).

Here's an idea. Make a "light" version of this for all the DJ's who do top of the market gigs, but don't need the unneccessary stuff.

I use a Xone DX, but this would work for S4 / any itch controller / Denon 6000 owners as well.

Lose the soundcard (not needed by owners of the above controllers)
    Lose the touchscreen (if your controller mapping's done properly, you're hardly touching the computer)
    Add some way powering the thing if the mains power goes (either batteries or a small UPS).

That last point is a deal breaker for me. A large chunk of my work is a series of Christmas gigs in a large 1500 capacity marquee. It uses very good quality gear, but it's all run off generators. Ninety nine % of the time, the power's fine, but power problems aren't unheard of. (last december, the really cold weather caused the diesel to freeze in the generators fuel tank). .....the last thing I want is my computer having the plug pulled on it without being shut down properly!!
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast