Ableton mapping

Thread: Ableton mapping

Tech Wizard

Default Ableton mapping

So I built a controller, and have 16 of the buttons mapped to midi keys so I could pound out tunes/beats in Ableton Live Suite 8. Then I decided to have those 16 buttons pull double duty--play a tune, save it to a slot, flip a switch and the buttons turn to sample triggers. So I went ahead and mapped the keys to sample slots, thinking that all I'd have to do is arm a channel to have the keys back, but they still trigger samples when I press them.

Is what I want possible at all from within Ableton?

Tech Mentor

MAX MSP 4 Live may be able to do this.. but i dont think you can make this happen in just ableton.

I have been wanting to set up a macro for 1 button trigging next scene for a while .. dont have MAX for live thou
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Wizard

yeah, M4L seems like more than I'm willing to do--to be frank I'm more comfortable doing programming on the controller end--I can just map a "shift feature" to a toggle switch to put the buttons in CC/key mode. Thanks for making me do extra work Ableton...

Tech Guru

It is possible without M4L, using python scripting. Do a Google search for APC 64-40 python script. Follow directions carefully. You're in for a treat - a lot more than just recording notes and launching clips. I'm not going to say anything else, just that Hanz does some of the best work out there, and free. But donate if you can
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets